Flixster/Ultraviolet

Foster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Batman/The Dark Knight steelbook not long ago and it came with a digital copy for both films, and you have to create and flixster account and a ultraviolet account then link them together. But the linking together process seems to be taking ages has anyone else used this service and did you have the same problems?

Last edited:
I had to register on two sites, download and install 3 bits of software and then it still took 5 days for the ability to download Sherlock Holmes was available to me.

Really bad system.

I'm trying to set my account for this for the first time.

Pain the arse doesn't begin to describe it.

1. Make an UV account, cannot do anything with it ?
2. Make an Flixster account, link it to UV. Ok they made that bit easy.
3. Click to redeeem voucher - nothing happens.

Is UV for you devices and flixster for the movies ?

any ideas on how to redeem, i'm using chrome but will try opera next.

Clicked through the FAQ (shocking I know) and there was a how to download link in there that worked !

It offered an explanation of both systems, however it also says not all UV films can be streamed via flixster.

Attachments

• Confirmation - Flixster - UltraViolet.png
    Confirmation - Flixster - UltraViolet.png
    534.8 KB · Views: 284
Film 2 and get a region error !! wtf !! why does digital stuff have a region setting?

The blurays are coded but work in the uk, the lengths some companies go to piss me right off and they wonder why pirate bay is so popular.

Guess you can make US account, but probably cannot same email or devices as another account.

Well cannot see an option to change country in either account, about to give up already.

Emailed them so see what bs reasons they give for a digital region on uv films.

Are UK films banned from running on your device once you cross into US territory? and the other way round for US visitors?

Will try deleting the account/making another later but all in total joke of a system still it seems.

Are you saying that you added two movies via Flixster while you were in the UK and now you're in USA and it won't let you watch the movies?

Well cannot see an option to change country in either account, about to give up already.

Emailed them so see what bs reasons they give for a digital region on uv films.

Are UK films banned from running on your device once you cross into US territory? and the other way round for US visitors?

Will try deleting the account/making another later but all in total joke of a system still it seems.
Y'know, talking/posting to yourself is the first sign of madness...;)

You need to be in the correct country to redeem. Once redeemed, you can watch anywhere.
Same reason why you can't 'officially' use iPlayer while in the US as your IP address doesn't match.
Easy workaround Free ultraviolet download codes | Page 8 | AVForums

Once redeemed, you can watch in any country.

Are you saying that you added two movies via Flixster while you were in the UK and now you're in USA and it won't let you watch the movies?

No I was being sarcastic then but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

No, once redeemed (from the correct country using a workaround) it plays fine anywhere.

How many replies to your own comment count as talking to yourself then ?

I'm to lazy to click edit.

I got it work !!

Read through your link, thanks, went through to the 3d bluray link and they had an add-on for firefox, goggled one for chrome

Chrome Web Store - Hola Better Internet

and it worked no worries, flixster seems not to allows show a central part of the page on my chrome but i think that is something else I can worry about later.

Not to see if I can access HD versions, in the other thread people say even one labelled HDUV like the Wolverine only stream via flixster in SD, I'll try downloading and see what happens.

Then to find a cheap box that will play/stream them, wonder if nowtv boxes do?

Only certain films stream in HD (so far) via their website. Supposedly they will increase the number eventually.

I can stream in HD using the flixster apps on my iOS & Android devices though.

Hello David,

Thank you for contacting Flixster Customer Care for UltraViolet. Flixster accounts are regionally based. For instance, if you are in the UK and open an account on flixster.com, it will be a UK Flixster account. You will only be able to redeem UK codes to your account while you are in the UK. You will be able to view these titles while you travel abroad so long as the Flixster app on your mobile/tablet device was installed while in the UK. If you are in the US and install the US Flixster app to your mobile device, your UK account titles will not be playable. You also will not be able to redeem US codes to your UK account, regardless of where you are in the world.

If you have an existing Flixster account, you can log in to your account when you are in a different region. You can then redeem titles from that region to your account. Please note that regional codes will redeem in the audio language, or subtitles, of that region and cannot be changed.

Flixster regions are divided into the following: USA, Canada, United Kingdom/Great Britain, and Australia/New Zealand. Norwegian territories, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, Japan and Mexico are also separate and will redeem titles dubbed or subtitled to their respective language.

Thank you for contacting Flixster Customer Support.

- Flixster Digital Copy Support Tea

Got a reply quite quickly but almost what I thought they would say, however at least you can save your US codes for a time when you visit there !! nice of them.

No attempt at an explanation to why region exits though in a digital domain.

Got a nice little set now, cheers Soundwave.

Attachments

• Your Movie Collection - Flixster - Buy, Rent, and Watch Movies   TV on Flixster.png
    Your Movie Collection - Flixster - Buy, Rent, and Watch Movies TV on Flixster.png
    844.5 KB · Views: 192
You have regions in ALL digital purchases/streaming. iTunes has regional stores, catchup services iplayer, itv player, 4OD etc, Lovefilm & Netflix etc.
All of these are locked to the UK or have different regional stores.

Reason is because many films/TV programmes have different studios/distributers that own the rights in a different region, so stores have to be locked down to the region.
We as consumers, can ignore this & get around it, but they obviously can't otherwise they'd get in trouble.

Don't think digital comic stores have regions I know its a different media but the principle is the same imo.

I take your point thought for distributors of physical goods but I don't think it should apply to a digital product as no-one bar the file hosting pc/service is doing the distributing.

I just think any DRM like these puts people off and turns them to the dark side, I was this close to packing it in before after 10 mins of hassle. Two/three clicks on the bay and its downloading.

I meant distributers as in who owns the distribution rights. It's all about who gets paid.

Eg Warner has the distribution rights for Watchmen in the US. Paramount has the distribution rights for Watchmen in the UK.

If everyone in the UK bought Watchmen from the US iTunes store, all the royalties would go to Warner (US) instead of Paramount (UK).

Yes DRM is annoying, but let's not kid ourselves. The biggest reason for people turning to the dark side is some people want a free breakfast, lunch, tea & dinner :rolleyes:

Sure I know what you mean, I don't know if they get paid for every download I think it more likely a upfront sum has already been agreed with the disc makers so in effect they have already been paid no matter if someone from the UK or US buys the disk.

I don't think things being free is all it is, these codes are free within a product you already have bought but the process is far from easy compared to other methods of getting the same thing. I'd happy have a legit library able to stream access anywhere but at present nothing is as easy as making your own library by various means and hosting it yourself.

DRM on pc games for example after installing using code/disk requiring the disk to be in the drive everytime, cannot count how many cracked exe I've download just to avoid that pre steam of course.

Anyway I've got several 1.xx files now downloaded, not had chance to look at them yet but a bit surprised they are so small. A 1-1 rip of dvd is anywhere from 4-7 times the size, never mind a bluray rip. Still probably look ok on a tablet and maybe streamed/miracasted from there.

a upfront sum has already been agreed with the disc makers so in effect they have already been paid no matter if someone from the UK or US buys the disk.
They don't do that with digital music sales (eg iTunes- music also locked by region), it's a royalty per download. Why do you think it's done differently with movies?
I hate DRM, but there is (sometimes) a annoying reason why they use it.

A 1-1 rip of dvd is anywhere from 4-7 times the size, never mind a bluray rip.
DVDs use the ancient MPEG2 codec from biblical times :laugh:. The H.264 codec is far more efficient & gives a much better picture using less memory than MPEG2.

Last edited:
Less storage space, not memory ;)

I don't understand all the trouble people have with Flixster. it's a pretty easy system to use; the only issue I've had being a problem with Chrome remembering my logon details (works fine in Firefox/IE). I've redeemed a bunch of titles (almost forty) without incident. Just go to the redeem UV link, stick the code in, job done. Not much cop for watching on a PC, but definitely useful for the Nexus when travelling. I just wish there was a TV app for the Panny plasmas.

The point of these though are a free bonus to people paying for the disk, I reckon the actual figure of people downloading them would be a tiny percent, less than 10. Thats why a pay-as-you download model would be rubbish for the people flogging them. I might be wrong and I'd be interested if anyone knew for sure what the model is/figures are.

The average user would have almost no chance of getting a US version working from within the UK, I am sure UK codes for UK films work very easily once you've created an account on both sites and linked your account.

Less storage space, not memory ;)

I don't understand all the trouble people have with Flixster. it's a pretty easy system to use; the only issue I've had being a problem with Chrome remembering my logon details (works fine in Firefox/IE). I've redeemed a bunch of titles (almost forty) without incident. Just go to the redeem UV link, stick the code in, job done. Not much cop for watching on a PC, but definitely useful for the Nexus when travelling. I just wish there was a TV app for the Panny plasmas.
there is a way of watch your flixster movies at 1080p 5.1 audio if you have a wd live media streamer

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom