Flixgrab mp4 files audio problem in DUNE HD Base 3.0

quirico

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am a former customer of Dune. I own two Dune HD Base 3.0.

Since I bought them I never had any problems with them. Only in one of them I had a hardware failure (power supply) in 2013. Fixed thanks to the help of Dune technical support.
All video files have always played smoothly. Until now.

I use a program called Flixgrab (freegrabapp.com) to convert my movies into mp4 format.
When the audio track of the files is Dolby Digital Plus (ec-3), neither of the two Dune players is capable of playing the audio. They indicate that there is no audio track (none).

I give you as an example the information of one of these files:

General
Complete name :03 - Sobre Las Alas De Keeradarks.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 167 MiB
Duration : 18 min 22 s
Overall bit rate : 1 272 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.33.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference fra : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 978 kb/s
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 26.943 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 11.989 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 90 000.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.039
Stream size : 129 MiB (77%)
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : E-AC-3
Format/Info : Enhanced AC-3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital Plus
Codec ID : ec-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 kb/s
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 37.8 MiB (23%)
Title : BAMTech audio
Language : Spanish
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

I have tried 170519_1353_r11 and 150721_0135_b9 firmwares, without success.
I have tried remuxing the audio and video tracks, without re-encoding, keeping the mp4 format, with various programs, but also without success.
I have also tried to convert mp4 to matroska (mkv), also without re-encoding, with MKVToolNix. In this case, the audio can be heard in Dolby Digital Plus, but completely out of sync. I have played with the different MKVToolNix options, but I have not been able to get the audio to sync.

Since I can't think of any more solutions, I am writing for first time in this forum, in case you can help me.

I have uploaded the sample mp4 file to Google Drive in case you want to download it and do tests:

I thank you in advance.
Kudos:
Ricardo

Last edited by a moderator:
avidemux reads a fault with your sample .mp4 and estimates a 74ms correction to the audio however it is unable to save the corrected video/audio, maybe it will work with your source video if they are not damaged.

You could also try adding the 74ms to the audio track in mkvtoolnix but as I don't speak Spanish I cant tell if its fully in sync.

Thanks for your answer next010.
I believe that the video is not damaged.
I have tried MKVToolNix adding the 74ms and it is still completely out of sync.
I think the problem is that the video track has a very strange framerate. It is variable framerate with an average that is twice that of a normal streaming video (47,952 vs. 23,976 fps). This is how this application downloads, all the videos have been downloaded from Disney + with this framerate.
But can the variable framerate of the video track make the EAC3 audio track not play in Dune player?

P.D.: If I play them with in Windows 10 with Media Player Classic HC x64 1.9.8, they are seen without any problem.

Attachments

• Properties.jpg
    Properties.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Just fix it?

A software media player on PC can ignore hardware decoding if required but a player like the dune cannot so if the video falls outside the specifications the Dune supports you get problems like this.

So yeah the Dune probably does not like whatever way these videos are being mastered.

I'm not sure what else you can do if you want to keep the video and audio in original form, maybe videohelp or doom9 forums would be better places to ask.

Just fix it?

Thanks JabbaNut.
Yes, I only want to correct these videos but without recoding neither video nor audio.

A software media player on PC can ignore hardware decoding if required but a player like the dune cannot so if the video falls outside the specifications the Dune supports you get problems like this.

So yeah the Dune probably does not like whatever way these videos are being mastered.

I'm not sure what else you can do if you want to keep the video and audio in original form, maybe videohelp or doom9 forums would be better places to ask.
Very thanks next010, I will address these forums.

Why is the video in Spanish? should be in it's original English Audio?

I do not understand the reason for those questions. They are irrelevant to solving the problem.
All they show is ignorance. Any prejudice against my language?

Last edited:
I do not understand the reason for those questions. They are irrelevant to solving the problem.
All they show is ignorance. Any prejudice against my language?
Not at all, I just want to know that why the video is in Spanish?

Not at all, I just want to know that why the video is in Spanish?
Again you ask why the video is in Spanish? Really?
Although I would not even have to give you explanations, I am going to make it very clear to you.
I live in Madrid, Spain. Spanish is my native language.
In what language do you watch series and movies?
Do you speak more than one language?
Have you ever been out of New York, USA?
Do you know that there are more languages than English?
I still don't understand the relevance of the language.
The problem is very well explained above. Dune HD does not recognize the Dolby Digital Plus (ec-3) track. What does it matter if the track content is in English or Spanish?
If my questions seem absurd to you, perhaps it is because you have already realized that your question was also absurd.
And if you haven't noticed, I ask again: any prejudice?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom