1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight simulator and joystick recomendations please.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Iain Shields, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks,

Since I've recently purchaced a 9800pro (my first decent graphics card) I've decided to finally get into flight simulation gaming... now that I can finally do it properly!!

After doing some searches I've found that most people suggest MS Flight Simulator 2004, since I'm not too interested in the combat side of things at the moment it seems the best choice, allthough I'm still open to other suggestions. Any advice on the many expansion packs would be helpfull, what one's are worth getting?, if any....

The main thing I'm not sure about is what joystick to get, I'm not wanting to spend mega bucks here but I'd be willing to strech a bit if it's worth it. Can anyone give me a few recomendations in the low to mid price bracket that would go best with MS Flight Simulator 2004?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Iain.

2. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Welcome to the FS world, mate. You'll find it eat your time, but its well worth it. I've had MS Flight Simulator 2002 for a year or so now (thinking about upgrading to FS2004 when I've a bit of cash), and there is loads of info out there, so its kind of difficult to know where to start. Gamesplanet have FS2004 for £35 (though they may be out of stock atm, its easy to find it elsewhere for £40).

Freeware: go to a site like SimFlight and they have a good news section with a list of good freeware sites to link to. Theres loads of stuff out there, you'd be suprised.

Payware: companies like Just Flight have loads of apparently excellent programs, mainly for FS2002/4. I say apparently, cos I haven't bought one yet, but they look the leaders, AFAIK. PC World and Game stock quite a few of their titles, and you can buy them online from the usual suspects for less.

Newsgroup: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim is busy.

Magazine: PC Pilot is available in larger WHSmiths.

These are as good a place as any to start, though if you have the cash, I reckon the payware will provide the most flawless solutions. It depends what you want to do really, whether its airport packs, terrain mesh or new aircraft.

I have a simple £10 old-skool style Quickshot joystick that does the trick, but am looking to upgrade again (when I have the cash), so if you find a good deal, let me know. Cheers!

3. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi mate, thanks alot for the reply :smashin:

As I'm discovering, there is a big world to explore when it comes to flight simulators on the pc, alot of which is based around MS Flight Simulator, so I think I'll definately go with this for the software (and maybe try one or two of the expansion packs :D )

I'm still having problems deciding on what joystick to get and would really like a few recomendations from the peeps here as to what they use, and of course, if they like it ;) I'll be sure to let you know of any good deals I come across... thanks for posting the links aswell, good interesting sites.

Regards,
    Iain.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have used Saitek joysticks for years. I have upgraded from the Cyborg 3d gold to the new evo and the line has been upgraded again witht he addition of a wireless and rumble version. Basic model £25.55+ p&p. It is fully programable with the rudders and throttle on stick. :smashin:
    http://www.dabs.com/uk/Search2/Product+Details.htm?quicklinx=2LPV&searchphrase=cyborg

My friend swears by his Thrustmaster stick, throttle and peddles but he paid over £300 for all his kit.;)

5. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain,

I use This
    Very good value and it dose exactly what it says on the tin. :)

6. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Taz - do you use FS2002/4 with it? Do you get force feedback, and is it any good? Looks too much of a bargain, IYSWIM...

7. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I use mine with FS 2002, FS combat 1,2 & 3 and a couple of others.

The feedback is very powerfull, im very pleased with mine.

out of 10 it would get a good 8.5 IMHO. :)

8. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the recomendations guys :smashin:

Taz, that seems to be a very good price for a force feedback joystick... I'm definately thinking about getting this one.

Does it have all the features that you need when playing MS Flight Simulator? Does it have any problems that you've come across?

Thanks mate,

Regards,
    Iain.

9. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iain,

I bought mine 12 months ago at £40+ and its worked a treat with all my MS flight stuff, for the price, I dont think you could go wrong.

If I have to be fussy, the stick is USB but it has its own power via an adapter thats about all I can knock it for.

10. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Taz, really appreciate it mate. :beer:

I think I'll go ahead and get one, I've only one problem though...
    To send this to N.Ireland, Ebuyer adds on a extra charge of £15 on top of it's normal p&p charge :eek: :thumbsdow :mad:

Do you know of any other retailer's selling this at a simular price? I'll be looking myself but I don't have too many links...

Regards,
    Iain.

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    I know PC world stock them - i've got the non feedback version, which is also very good for flight sims. I think at the time (about a year ago) my version was about £30 and the feedback version about £40 - £50. They may have come down a bit now though as these sticks have been around a while.

12. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks mate, the link below is to what looks like the same joystick I think (not too sure) and at £40 still works out cheaper (if I get off my ass and go and get one :D ) than if I order it off the net and get it delivered!!!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...ductList&show_all=true&fm=4&sm=1&tm=undefined - list of their joysticks.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...55&category_oid=-10050&fm=4&sm=1&tm=undefined - item with no pic (even though there is one in the list page above :confused: ).

Regards,
    Iain.

13. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from PCW last year :)

14. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I can't recommend a flight sim as there are too many but I CAN recommend a joystick - one of the most sophisticated joysticks to hit the market (according to the marketing blurb) - gentlemen, I give you, the saitek X52!
    At around £100, it aint cheap but you are getting the very latest in stick technology, needless to say, I'v already pre-ordered mine!

Attached Files:

15. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That does look like the dogs ******** dosn't it mate!!! :smashin:

I had a look at this myself but as you say, at around £100 it ain't cheap. It's just too much for me at the moment but I'd love to hear what you think of it when you get it.

Regards,
    Iain.