Flight Sim Rig

4paulandsue

Hi All, I have a Big dilemma in deciding what system to build to use with FlightSim X. Currently I have purchased an Enermax 1000watt PSU. 2 Raptor 150gig hard drives, 1 SAmsung Spinpoint 500gig hard drive. Along with a Thermaltake Tai Chi Case that is fantastic. I need assistance in building the rest, I have looked at CPU E6850 or Q6600 go stepping. Motherboard Asus Maximus either ddr2 or ddr3 any other options! Graphics Card either 8800gt or 8800gtx !!. Memory fastest possibleany ideas! Anyway advise would be appreciated as I want too get flying again, I a sad person. Anyone reading this I wish you all a Blessed New Year. Kindest Regards Paul::lease:

Well personally. that is WAY WAY WAY WAY ETC overkill for Flight Sim....however...its your money, i gather your building this for just this game...then theres no point going quad..just may aswel buy the E6850. Dont buy DDR3...its really no faster. DDR2 is cheaper.

Get the Corsair 2gb Xms2

a faster dual core will be better than a quad if it's just for FSX.

DDR2 is the way to go as DDR3 costs silly money at the moment.

FSX relies heavily on the CPU for the physics, and not so much on the GPU. don't go overkill on the graphics card, get what you might need for other games but generally dont worry about it for FSX

That rig isn't overkill at all, FS X really does need a meaty PC. Although if you do buy a decent machine you better make sure your monitor is a good 'un. No point having quad core CPU, SLI 8800GTX if you're running at 800x600!:rotfl:

FS X needs some CPU and GPU MHz, if you're running at high resolutions and full detail, etc.

I don't think anybody had actually managed to run it all full detail in 1920 x 1080 with a smooth frame rate with any current PC kit :eek:

sorry...when i say overkill....i mean in terms of 2x raptors and a 500gb HD...tbh...spending that amount on 2 x150gb raptors isnt worth it for maybe a few secs quicker load.

sorry...when i say overkill....i mean in terms of 2x raptors and a 500gb HD...tbh...spending that amount on 2 x150gb raptors isnt worth it for maybe a few secs quicker load.

true, you shouldn't really need 2 raptors, especially if they're 150Gb :eek:

my rig plays it relatively smoothly but still with low framerates, i've got a quad core @ 2.4GHz (Q6600) and an X1950Pro, with 2gb RAM

If i was building it id go for

E6850...From his post...a quad would make no sense for him...speed is best

2GB Corsair

512 8800GT

150 raptor (if REALLY needed) if not....seagate 500

Motherboard? i like IP35Pro....Asus are good etc..

i disagree.

Quad core is much more future proof.
4gb of DDR2 ram
8800GT or new 8800GTS.
Any decent mid range board is good.

gigabyte ds3r is ddr2 and ddr3 compatible and also will take the next set of 45nm intel chips.

Personally as other have said dump the raptors, so not worth the money as you can get about 1tb of storage for the cost of a 150gb raptor.

yes it is future proof...but really rarely used in much at the moment for the average user...also....he wants his PC for flight simx which doesnt support quad so thats why i suggested E6850.

my personal pref would be get a DDR2 board only as it will take along time for DDR3 to come down.

P.s - on a side note..whats the cash amount about on my profile?

I run a QX6700, 2gb ram asus in9 mobo, an 8800gts 640mb and it still isn't powerful enough for high settings

I'm not disagreeing or arguing...but is that due to poor programming within the game, for instance Americas Army is poorly programmed and some maps run at only 50fps compared to the standard 80 i get on others and that runs the Quake 2 engine i believe. My gaming rig (see sig) can run crysis on high at 1680x1050..obv nt v.high...but high is good enough for me.

....but is that due to poor programming within the game....

All games on the PC are poorly programmed. It's a good little scam they've got going, with the hardware manufacturers. New game is released, but you need to buy a faster graphics card.....rather than use more efficient code, they make gamers buy a new vga card every 6-12 months.

tahts not really that true, COD4 runs fine on my 6800GT (AGP)...CS:S runs fine on my 2600PRO and 6800...ive just crysis even on my 6800GT at medium on 1024x768 fine,

But yes...some games are poorly programmed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom