Flight Mode

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Antpink, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have a SE W800, great phone, mostly, with the now unmissable feature of flight mode, where you can use the unit as an mp3 player only, with phone functions disabled - dead uselful for flying, and doing a lot of this, it really has come to be an awesome feature to have. Now my biggest gripe with this phone is the hit-or-miss nature of the synchronising, which requires numerous restarts of the s/w before a clean sync, and regularly duplicates contacts time and again until my phone has three or more entries for same name. Frustrating.

I have used Nokia almost exlcusively beforehand, and I know the sync is much more reliable (or at least it was, and is for my partners phone), so this is where I am leaning, but to date I cannot identify any one of their phone models that does the "flight mode" thing. Can anyone put me in the direction of other makes and models that may be abel to do this? Not too keen on PDA types, but willing to look at if this is the only option.

Thanks in advance

2. cracker

cracker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +246
    dunno about others but the N80 has "offline" mode, which is Nokia's name for flight mode. its the same as what you are talking about

in offline mode all cellular network connectivity is disabled and you can just use the functions of the phone, ie music player, games, office software, etc etc

3. Stallion1971

Stallion1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do a fair bit of flying and a lot of airlines still do not allow phones to be used, even in 'flight mode' - kind of defeats the object! :(

4. readymix

readymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    With the problems now at the airports dont worry about flight mode the phone goes in checked luggage and will for along time to come.

5. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    No, that will be eased sooner than you think..
    the Samsung E900 has off line mode for Aircraft and hospital use.

6. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Was using my XDA in flight mode to watch a movie all the way home on a return flight back to the UK on Sat.

7. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    thanks cracker - it's brand new here so maybe why the folks at Nokia gave me a blank look when I asked the question. Looks like a good un as well - may have to investigate further - not as expensive as I thought either...

thanks chris - never considered Samsung - maybe worth a look. If you own Samsung can you advise on the ease (or not) of pc syncing, whether it can do email and all that jazz?

others - the security storm hasn't erupted in Asia yet, except on flights to UK and US, so at the mo, no major impact on travelling "necessities" being relegated to the hold. I wonder how this will impact the diehards who cannot live without the perceived connectivity luxury of bringing the laptop on the plane with them - personally the plane is a sanctuary from all of that, and the only reason the laptop travels in the cabin is fear of heavy handling and theft!

cheers all for your time :thumbsup:

8. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Hi again
    Samsung E900 works great with my PC. It comes with its own editing suite for you to make your own ringtones etc etc..It does receive/send email although I have not used it for that so can't say how efficient it is doing it.
    Good luck with whatever you choose...:)