Flies and Maggots

dodgydaz

Novice Member
Has anyone else had this problem with their wheely bins?

We noticed a lot of flies around our bin last week, and when we lifted the lid up, they had laid eggs all around the rim.
I used a paper towel and scooped all the eggs into a sandwich bag and sealed it up. However a few days later we noticed about a dozen maggots crawling down the side of the bin. When I opened the lid, there were more of them crawling over the rubbish bags.

We have a toddler and believe me, his sh*t stinks!!! So we seal his nappies up in a nappy bag, and then into a carrier bag before putting it in the bin.
As for food, we tie any bags up before putting them in the outside bin so there is nothing loose in there.

When the bin was emptied on Friday, I doused the bin in bleach and disinfected every surface.
We now put our sons nappies into a nappy bag, carrier bag, and two black bin bags before throwing them in the bin - Its a bit extreme I know, but I do not want those flies returning.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? and if so, did you solve the problem.

It doesnt help that the bins are only emptied once a fortnight now, which is way too long in this weather.

John Simon

Mate, we had exactly the same problem last week, we bag all our stuff but one bag had split slightly, it was gross 100's of maggotts and flies. Cleaned it out with Jeyes fluid.

I would prefer to have a bin 1/2 the size emptied every week.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Yep I'm having this problem a lot this summer. I've put it down to my dog pee-ing all over the balcony (not in one go, he does little area's at a time) and very little rain to wash it away.

Every now and then I hose it down, bleach it and hose it down again and that seem's to do the trick!

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Guy's

An interim measure I do is to open the lid slightly spay inside the bin with fly spay and shut the bin lid give it a few minutes and hey presto all the flies are dead

mjn

Distinguished Member
Keep your bin out of the sunlight?

We don't have any such problems, however only a very small amount of our waste goes in the bin, >90% is recycled or put in the composter.

neilmcl

Dodgydaz, do you have a local wheelie bin cleaning firm in your area. I get mine done once a month for only a couple of quid a pop, money well spent.

Duncan G

dodgydaz said:
Has anyone else had this problem with their wheely bins?

We noticed a lot of flies around our bin last week, and when we lifted the lid up, they had laid eggs all around the rim.
I used a paper towel and scooped all the eggs into a sandwich bag and sealed it up. However a few days later we noticed about a dozen maggots crawling down the side of the bin. When I opened the lid, there were more of them crawling over the rubbish bags.

We have a toddler and believe me, his sh*t stinks!!! So we seal his nappies up in a nappy bag, and then into a carrier bag before putting it in the bin.
As for food, we tie any bags up before putting them in the outside bin so there is nothing loose in there.

When the bin was emptied on Friday, I doused the bin in bleach and disinfected every surface.
We now put our sons nappies into a nappy bag, carrier bag, and two black bin bags before throwing them in the bin - Its a bit extreme I know, but I do not want those flies returning.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? and if so, did you solve the problem.

It doesnt help that the bins are only emptied once a fortnight now, which is way too long in this weather.
You could go back to the way your mum did things and use terry nappies. Those disposables tend to hang about in the landfill and take eons to rot away. Or use a nappie service,

http://www.changeanappy.co.uk/index.htm

HMHB

Distinguished Member
My wheelie bins have been teeming with ants over the last few weeks.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Duncan G said:
You could go back to the way your mum did things and use terry nappies. Those disposables tend to hang about in the landfill and take eons to rot away. Or use a nappie service,
Its a bit of a myth as to how unbiodegradable disposable nappies are. Someone did a study and said that the if everyone who used disposables switched to terry the amount of resulting pollution from processing the textiles and the increased production and use of cleaning agents to deal with them would be worse than just sticking with the disposables in the first place ....whcih are actually fairly benign to the enviroment anyway.

And speaking as a father of two who did his share the thought of using terry nappies and the associated headaches and additional work frankly fills me with immense dread.