Flickr now with 1TB free storage!

....the "last 200" limit on non Pro users seems to have been removed as well - so apart from account stats why would anyone pay for Pro now ? :confused:

Jim

Pro accounts have become "Ad-free" accounts so that is the only difference - you won't see any ads.

It is a pain though as I only renewed my pro account last week. Not sure if I switch to "free" if I will get my money back, if my 4600 photos will all be available to me and how much of the 1TB limit I have used up so far. Last week I paid my money for "unlimited" uploads and now I am limited to 1TB.

Oh, and the redesign is really horrible. It's like THEY PUT EVERYTHING IN CAPS LOCK! I know that it is a photo sharing site but they are really ramming photos down your throat on the homepage.

Plus their doublr account makes no sense.

Free account:

1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
Upload and download in full original quality

Ad-free - as above but no adverts - $50

Doublr - 2TB space, no ads and everything else the same as free account - $500. Yes FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS! 5 with two zeros! That is an enormous jump from 50 to 500.

I agree - the new look took me completely by surprise and I'm not that keen - very IN YOUR FACE :(

Plus their doublr account makes no sense.

Free account:

1 Terabyte of photo and video storage
Upload photos of up to 200MB per photo
Upload 1080p HD videos of up to 1GB each
Video playback of up to 3 minutes each
Upload and download in full original quality

Ad-free - as above but no adverts - $50

Doublr - 2TB space, no ads and everything else the same as free account - $500. Yes FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS! 5 with two zeros! That is an enormous jump from 50 to 500.

...yes - at first I thought it must be a typo - surely it can't cost more than $100 ? :confused:

How bizarre! I was going to upgrade my account to Pro yesterday just for the 'replace photo' feature and held off.

Spooky! But great. :D

Oh, and the redesign is really horrible. It's like THEY PUT EVERYTHING IN CAPS LOCK! I know that it is a photo sharing site but they are really ramming photos down your throat on the homepage.

I agree - the new look took me completely by surprise and I'm not that keen - very IN YOUR FACE :(

But I really like it. So there. :p

In fact I asked not long ago how I could set up my Flickr home page like that - as they were already using it for group pools.

More tablet friendly of course. Part of the reason.

But I have to agree with most people commenting on Flickr that the changes to accounts are most confusing.

Last edited:
I cant get my head around what is happening with the Pro accounts... I took out a Pro account about a month ago, on a 3 month subscription. In my account it says
You have a Flickr Pro Account. It will renew on 19th July, 2013.
Are they going to get rid of Pro accounts eventually as they are now only offering them to exisiting Pro members... If so, what will happen to the stats page etc, as there is no mention of that if you go down the 'ad free' or 'doublr' route... Are stats going to be free?? If so, then there is really no point in renewing as a Pro member, may as well just install an ad-blocker in chrome/firefox and get the free 1TB...

Also they seem to be 'offering' some sort of ultimatum for Pro members to go free by August 20th... What will happen if i dont switch to a free account by then?

Very confusing :facepalm:

However, I do like the new design.

Last edited:
I must admit, I don't mind the new design, but it is very in your face.
I'm all for change. Don't like things to get stagnant. However, I have done anything to my account since the change, so I may change my mind then. :)

I cant get my head around what is happening with the Pro accounts... I took out a Pro account about a month ago, on a 3 month subscription. In my account it says
Are they going to get rid of Pro accounts eventually as they are now only offering them to exisiting Pro members... If so, what will happen to the stats page etc, as there is no mention of that if you go down the 'ad free' or 'doublr' route... Are stats going to be free?? If so, then there is really no point in renewing as a Pro member, may as well just install an ad-blocker in chrome/firefox and get the free 1TB...

Also they seem to be 'offering' some sort of ultimatum for Pro members to go free by August 20th... What will happen if i dont switch to a free account by then?

Very confusing :facepalm:

However, I do like the new design.

http://mashable.com/2013/05/20/flickr-pro-changes/

It's crap...

Half of the buttons don't work, in particular the share button, it's even directed me to the wrong image after selecting a thumbnail.

It's gone to just like viewing photos in Facebook.

I'm a little confused about how my account will work. I get a free pro account through BT Broadband. I don't pay for it, so I can't renew it. However, with Pro no longer being offered, which package will I move on to, or will my account stay as Pro forever?

EDIT - just seen that as a pro user, you can continue to renew your account, you just can't buy a pro account any more, so looks like mine will stay the same. :)

Absolutely awful !

Take a look at the forum page where they are crowing about how great it is, then read the replies, I couldnt find ONE person who liked it !

Baaaaad move Flickr.

Should have asked first, then changed giving us the option of retaining old style.

Tut !

Now seriously considering moving the lot over to Redbubble.

Im not to bothered about them focing the design change on us (seen it a thousand times on other sites, facebook in particular) People will hate it at first, but over time they will get used to it and it will become the norm...The old style will be forgotten. All the old features are there, we havent lost anything, navigation is the main change, which of course we can re-learn.

It would appear the re-design has been made to make it more smartphone/tablet accessible. Which makes sense really, seen as Smatphones already outsell desktop PCs and tablets are looking to do the same by this time next year.

However, the confusion they have caused with regards to Pro accounts has really wound me up. I think a dedicated email should have been sent to Pro users, explaining exactly what is happening and how we may be affected in the future.

Last edited:
I like the new look but I'm not sure what's happening with the pro accounts. I have a recurring pro subscription set to renew in July so can continue with this but I don't see any option to move to a free account anywhere - it all seems needlessly confusing

*EDIT* you seem to get the choice by going here

http://www.flickr.com/pro/learnmore

Last edited:
Keeping pro for as long as Yahoo offer it. The design is ok, but in some places it's just laid on top of the old design.

Also this article has a handy chart comparing the old and new accounts - What The New Flickr Means For Free and Pro Users - Tested

Yahoo is having a laugh over the 2tb for $500, unless they think people will never go over that limit.

...obviously doesn't know the meaning of "Professional" as it's got bugger all to do with "skill level"....

Being with BT for my broadband means I keep my "Pro" account at no cost to me, so I'm not complaining :D

I actually quite like the new look, the old design was looking tired, but there's still room for improvement. I agree with DanKelly's post above, sometimes change is received negatively, the initial knee-jerk reaction, but as with the continuous changes to Facebook, I'm sure most people will get used to it in time.

Love it!!! About time Flickr caught up with the rest of the web. The previous design looked like it had been created in MS-DOS. This is what it should be, all about images, all big grrrrrrr.... and in your face, awesome!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom