"flickering TV screen" Getting desperate!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Dutchie, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have a Thomson 500 Freeview box, connected with my Panasonic wide screen television in the loft. The picture quality is good but there seems to be some sort of flickering, even after i swapped the box (because Thomson told me that the freeview box might be having a problem) and i also bought a high quality coax cable. Could this problem be antenna related! I am getting a bit desperate!
    Many thanks for any usefull tips!
    Dutchie

2. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HI

Have you tried running an analogue signal?
    Plumb in an ariel into the back of the telly and check to see if the flickering is still there?
    Cheers

Chris

3. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Chris. Yes we originally had the 5 analogue channels in the loft and they run fine!
    Dutchie

4. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You are connecting Via a scart? RGB?
    Have you set the box/TV to the RGB signal.
    You mentiond coax cable - how is this connected..

Ta

Chris

I don't know much by the way, but sometimes I stumble on a solution :)

5. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, im not so technical but here we go.

1. Panasonic and the Thomson are connected via gold plated scart.

2. The Thomson is connected with the TV-point with a double shielded coax cable

3. How do i know whether its set to RGB?

Many thks#
    Dutchie

6. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am assuming, like a sky box - you can set the output to composite or RGB.
    Usually one of your scarts on your telly,should be RGB compatible.
    Have you tried plumbing it into one of the other scart inputs on the back of the tv?
    I suppose it is a process of elimation.
    I had to do this with a system once.
    If it still flickers on the other scart then I am assuming it is either a Scart lead problem or another dodgy box.
    If you have a portable TV with a scart input try and connect it the same way. If it flickers try another cheap scart lead - if it still flickers on the portable then it must be the box that's at fault.
    If there is a setup menu have a look at the output of the box.
    Can you tell me the model number at all?

Cheers bud

Chris

7. jomppa

jomppa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Ferguson FDT500 which I bought the other day from Currys also does the same. I live in Finland so brought it over here.

It found all the available Finnish Freeview channels first time, but I noticed that the signal is clearer but flickers a little. I have a 2 year old Sony Flat widescreen TV which is 50Hz and not 100Hz. I assume that the better picture shows up my poorer TV?

I have an excellent IXOS Flat SCART lead and also tried the free SCART cable, both of which gave the same picture quality. (I don't have a selectable RGB SCART option on teh TV .. or can't find one).

8. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This all sounds a bit odd.
    It shouldn't effect the screen of a 50hz model.
    I have SKY+ playing RGB out to a 50Hz Sony and the picture is excellent.
    I wonder if it is something to do with the signal strength?
    I was once told in the days of ITV digital that my signal was too strong!!!!!

9. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris, i assume you mean the make of the Freeview box? Its a Thomson DTI 550, bought at COmet for £59,95. It has one scart connection. I did swap the scart around, used the cheap non gold plated one and the gold plated one and it didnt make any difference.

Now in the set up of the box, i can see 2 things. Something called "level" and something called "bit"

The level bar is about 70-75% up and bit level bar is up a little bit and says something like "19"...whatever that means.

Tomorrow, "intoav" is coming around to install a projector in the loft, maybe i should ask them to have a look at it!. The picture is pin point sharp and i have been told that, in that case, it cant be the antenna............ The television is a 24" Panasonic widescreen
    TX-24DX1

Apparently the Thomson has a scart but cant output RGB! Could that be a cause?
    I hope this helps,
    Dutchie

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds to me like something is wrong with all thompson boxes then, the picture should not flicker. Are you having it connected to the projector? that should be interesting with no RGB

11. Gixer750

Gixer750

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure if it's the same problem but I have recently brought a Thomson DTI500 and connected it to a new Phillips 17" Widescreen LCD.
    I have a fairly good signal quality but have noticed that the TV keeps wanting to switch modes. Causing a major Flicker.
    If I set the tv's main mode to 4:3 then change to a widescreen channel. The TV switches to WideScreen and then keeps changing between Widescreen and 4:3.

I have connected the TV up to my SKY+ box using the same Ixos Scart and the image is stunning, and rock solid. So theres not a problem with the TV.

I am going to take the Thomson box, back and purchase a pace DTR210 and see what happens.

I wil let you know the results.

12. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, no RGB?
    Has the box got an arial through port. If so try and connect a coax arial lead from the Thomson and into the TV and tune it in.
    If this flickers then the box is buggered.
    I am seeing a technical TV friend today so I will ask him what he thinks and get back to you.

Ta

C

13. Semiskimmed1976

Semiskimmed1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Chris,

What (if you can remember!!) was the result of your conversation?

The reason i'm asking is I was doing a search for freeview flickering and stumbled upon this thread.

I installed freeview for my nan today, and her box is a thompson as well, so it looks like a common fault. She's getting a sharp picture with around 47 channels to choose from, I just assumed that the flickering of the picture (like a bad refresh rate) could be down to the aerial cause its nearly 30 years old :eek: - but am I right in saying, that if your getting a picture then this isn't the case but could be down to the box...? I wish I had one myself so I could test it...

Does anyone know whether the flickering is down to the freeview box or the aerial?

Cheers,
    Matt

14. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally i found out what was causing the problem. The Thomson 500 box didnt have RGB output! I replaced it with a more expensive Thomson box and everything works fine now!
    many thanks for your help!
    Dutchie