1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickering problem with AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by aurz, Apr 14, 2005.

1. aurz

aurz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

After 475 hours I've began to notice a flicker in the picture...

Its random but happens every 30 seconds to a 1 minute.

Its goes a little brighter and then a little darker. Like a candle in the wind.

It sounds like the globe. sad.gif A few other people have got this problem on the AVS forums.

Its so annoying.

I tried a Belkin SurgeCube with Line Cleaner as suggested by someone on the AVS forums (they had a similar issue) and it made no difference.

I don't know what to do.

The easiest way to see if it is flickering or not is to open up the secret menu. Go into the SELF CHECK and just let it sit. After 30 seconds the blue begins flickering in the background.

Anyone with the AE700 got this problem?

PLEASE reply with ANY info at all.

Thanks.

2. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
  3. aurz

aurz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I ain't standing for the flicker anymore.

I am taking the projector tomorrow morning at 9am to the service centre.

So when I have it fixed I will be able to tell all you guys what causes the flickering issue.

My lamp is at 495 hours and the guy said he would replace the lamp for free (if thats the cause) because its under 500 hours.

Will keep updating this thread as I hear news.

4. Dazzler2409

Dazzler2409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well then whot was it?

5. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I had exactly the same problem on an ae500. Panasonic replaced the bulb, but the problem was still there. They sent it back to me claiming not to see it.

boo!

great projector apart from the flicker.

pez

6. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Same here, mine still does it and its been back 3 times . New bulb I put in last week hasnt flickered yet though.

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Optoma H30 is flickering also since it reached 600 hours, it most certainly did not flicker before hand so i have started the ball rolling to get it looked at as well as cleaning out the dust blobs i have. Problem is its very intermittent so i doubt they will see it when they set it up so really i comes down to how good there customer service is which is first rate in my experience. I am sure they already know what the problem is as it sounds like a common problem and if they tell me its the blub then fair enough as long as i know what the problem is so i can fix it. Due to buy a new projector very soon anyway so i am not too concerned but i want to sell this PJ fully working although the 3 year guarentee is enough of a selling point as well as the door to door service optoma provide :clap:

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen it this and believe its probably the Dynamic Iris feature, personally it doesn't bother me and tends to go away, i have noticed on My Panasonic AE700 that as time increases ( i'm at 1002 hours on the bulb ) the picture quality has got better and all the little problems i originally had have vanished ( although no doubt the bulb has probably dimmed a little although i haven't really noticed )

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    An easy way to test if its the bulb is to put it in high power mode , flickering stopped on mine when I did this , mine started flickering quite badly just before it blew , kinda like a strobe.

10. rob_talisman

rob_talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Ive heard that the flickering is actually Arcing within the bulb itself. As it Wears you get a dip in part of the bulb so when it arcs it isnt arcing straight up and down on one level, but because an area is worn, it then find 2 high levels and arcs to the left side, then arcs to the right side of the dip. (hope you get what i mean there) I have been also told that if you then set you projector to HIGH mode for an hour or two, this will then correct the flicker problem.

Try it.

11. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thats what I assumed, when in low power its obviously having trouble arcing properly due to wear and tear inside the bulb, the extra power in high must help it to arc correctly.