1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flickering picture problem from Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wizbongre, May 15, 2005.

1. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi all,

My Sky+ box is just coming to the end of its first year (and hence the end of its warranty period) and is starting to display some strange picture problems...

Its a V2 model and plugged into a 28" Thomson 100Hz tv via RGB Scart. I've noticed lately there are flickers all over the picture, like scan lines, running horizontally. Also, parts of the picture appears to be flickering in brightness/darkness at times. I noticed a lot watching the recent snooker, where the corners of the image would be flickering between light and dark.

At first I thought it was the TV giving up, but have found that my DVD player and PS2 do not have the same problem on the TV. I've tried swapping round numerous scart leads and also swapping the input scarts on the TV. Each time the PS2 and DVD player are fine but the Sky+ box isn't.

The signal strength indicators both show about half but I think they always have.

Is there something obvious I should be looking for (maybe electrical interference to the cabling) or is it a call to have an engineer out?

If its an engineer callout, what can I expect? I've never had to do this before and wondered do I just call the helpline, faff around going through the turn off and on routine until they agree to send someone out?!

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. tony79

tony79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Only obvious thing I can think of is if the sky box isnt configured to rgb in the menu system.

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    wizbongre -

You've gone through most things - not like me to state the obvious but it sounds like you've got a duff box.

Not gonna be a DIY job. Sorry.

Get it in quick before the warranty expires!

A. Dork

4. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The RGB settings are fine.

Looks like you're right Arthur...