Question Flickering football on Hisense 65HN6800 - Sky Go xbox?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by smdntn, Aug 24, 2018.

1. smdntn

smdntn
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current setup is a Hisense 65N6800, ARC to a Pioneer VSX531. My Xbox one is connected and I watch Sky Sports via the Sky Go app on the Xbox. I had followed the picture settings recommended by AV forums.

When watching football, when the ball moves quickly usually from a long pass, the ball flickers. Its frustrating and I wondered whether anyone had any ideas on whether this would be: the TV itself, the connection through the amp (I haven't tried Xbox direct HDMI to TV yet), the fact its streamed (however I have 200mbps wired connection), or something else? Motion blur?

I tried playing with the picture settings and turning off 'ultra smooth motion', but did not help. The only thing I found to work was changing the output of the Xbox to 720p rather than 1080p and turning ultra smooth motion off. The whole image at first appears slightly more jagged but you get used to it after a few seconds. This would stop the football flickering.

However... I don't want to watch it in 720p... the 720p picture quality obviously isn't great on a TV this size and unfortunately feels like its defeating the purpose of the TV (granted its not top of the line, but a decent budget 65" set). I would have to keep switching to 720p when I want to watch football, and back to 1080p for gaming?

Any thoughts at what I could try would be appreciated. Anyone had similar problems?

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,412
    Its probably because the Sky sports app is poor quality and the content is delivered at a lower frame rate and lower quality. Low quality streams like this will look awful on a larger UHD TV.

Just had a quick search online and many a topic complaining about the quality of Sky Go app, on all platforms. Sky say the high quality stream is only 1200kbps which is awful really.

It may also explain why setting 720p helps, less upscaling steps and more handled by the TV.

Try watching match of the day which is shot at decent quality 1080i and at 50hz and see if you have the same problem.

Because the TV is using a 60hz panel ultra smooth motion will do next to nothing unless its a 25hz source.