Flicker

W

WickedGit

My picture flickers.

I am using the advanced AV scart cable with a standard 28" widescreen Thomsom telly. The text on dashboard and games seems to flicer of jump slightly, almost as if at a very low refresh rate - it also appears fuzzy. I have colour bleed on the X and A buttons on dashboard. Otherwise the picture in games is fine.

I have tried PAL 50 and PAL 60 and it is no different.

Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

Make sure you have the cable connected to a RGB scart and that the TV is in RGB mode (if it supports it)

W

WickedGit

Ok, a quick update: Tried cable in second scart socket on tv - still flickering. Tried 360 on second telly - still flickering. checked out Sky on both scart sockets on big telly - bugger me if that's not doing it an' all! So both tellies "flicker" - like an interlace problem, which leads me to think maybe a dirty power supply - we live in the wilds of yorkshire and have frequent brown-outs and full outages (when it rains hard or we have a high wind)/ Could this be it? How do i fix it?

P.S. anyone know what "EMI/RFI noise" is and if this could be my problem?

Andy3

Banned
Hi Wicked. I wonder if you might be seeing 'line twitter'? This happens when a fine horizontal graphic line appears on just one scan line, so that the flicker is 25 Hz instead of 50Hz. You quite often see it on the football results on TV, as the electronic graphics they use produce edges that lie exactly along a line.
I very much doubt your problem is down to a dirty supply or RFI.

Perfect excuse to throw your telly over the fence and go 720p!:thumbsup:

W

WickedGit

Andy3 said:
Hi Wicked. I wonder if you might be seeing 'line twitter'? This happens when a fine horizontal graphic line appears on just one scan line, so that the flicker is 25 Hz instead of 50Hz. You quite often see it on the football results on TV, as the electronic graphics they use produce edges that lie exactly along a line.
I very much doubt your problem is down to a dirty supply or RFI.

Perfect excuse to throw your telly over the fence and go 720p!:thumbsup:

Hi Andy3 - what I am seeing sounds as you describe - is the telly on the way out? and thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Um, just had a thought - how come both tellies show the jitters?

Andy3

Banned
"Um, just had a thought - how come both tellies show the jitters?"

Because it's not a fault, Wicked - it's what you get with interlaced scanning.:D

W

WickedGit

Andy3 said:
"Um, just had a thought - how come both tellies show the jitters?"

Because it's not a fault, Wicked - it's what you get with interlaced scanning.:D

Oh - how come my old Xbox MK1 didn't do this? Different video card?

Andy3

Banned
Hmm (strokes chin and pretends to be an expert...:rolleyes: ) Dunno! Perhaps the graphics were generated in (and more suitable for) interlaced form? Thinking aloud here... does the 360 internally generate its graphics in 720 progressive format? Probably.
Therefore do the people who write them tend to optimise them for 720p? I'd guess so.
When the 360 converts the 720 line graphics to 480i (or 576i) does this cause line twitter? Possibly....
Actually, you may find that your old XBOX did it as well, but only on certain graphics.
Time for a whisky:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom