Flicker on a Toshiba 26WL46

byron_hinson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just got a pioneer 575-S dvd player to go with my Toshiba 26WL46 LCD TV. I am running the DVD player in progressive scan mode. I've watched a few films so far on it, but two of the three i have watched have shown some flicker on objects such as checked shirts, walls and such like.

The DVD's showing this so far are Nightmare Before Christmas SE and Around The World in 80 Days (2004).

I watched Shrek 1 and 2 the earlier and neither of those showed any of these problems. What causes it? Can't I fix it?

Any ideas? Or is it normal on some DVD's to have flicker on items such as clothes, shirts, moving fences etc.

If it's on those particular things it might be moire patterning. With clothing, does it mainly happen with chequered patterns? And with fences, is it typically when the angle of view means that the gaps between fence slats appares small?

I thiink I know the reason and will try to explain.

Some of the picture material has close transitions which the television is interpreting as random colour information because it is falling within the subcarrier (4.43 MHz) band. Historically this was a problem in the early days of colour TV and broadcasters tried to avoid presenters wearing heavily-chequed jackets.

Modern-day TVs have notch filters in the luminance path to stop this happening. I am surprised that it is noticable on your Tosh as I have not found this on my 32WL48.

If it's Moire I could live with it, but if it is the filter I'd have to take it back and get a refund as it's getting on my nerves whenever I watch a DVD or whatever that has the problem as my 5 year old CRT never had the same problem.

The worse example is Nightmare Before Christmas SE as you can see it right at the beginning, but with the newly released Around The World in 80 Days it tends to only show up on some fences (at an angle) and on the chequered/striped shirts.

Has your DVD player got a choice of what mode of deinterlacing to use? This may be called film mode/video mode. It is possible that you are using video mode deinterlacing instead of film mode. Check out the comparisons of the stands at the motor racing circuit near the bottom of this article (immediately before the explanation of the CUE issue which you should not read :eek: if you don't know about it already!) to see if this is similar to what you are experiencing.

-Ian

I'm using the Pioneer DV575 for DVD playback and the only options you get are progressive and Interlaced.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom