1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flicker on 100hz

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Peter Shilton, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Peter Shilton

Peter Shilton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba 42WH18P. I have it set to scan on "Natural" and it seems OK. When I set it to 100hz is flickers. This is so bad it surely cannot be right. Does anyone else have this problem?

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I Have the 42WH18B and I have it set to naturel. When I click on 100hz it also flickers. Howver I was told that both settings are 100hz!!!!!

3. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    100 Hz seems scary to me...I have heard people complaingin of blurry images and flicker on a whole host of deifferent models and makes.

What is the point I wonder? :confused:

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've just got my first 100hz tv, a toshiba 36zp18p and i'm glad to say theres no flicker or motion blur. dvd and digital cable are pristine. maybe your setups not quite right.

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stranger,

Out of interest, is your set switchable from standard to 100Hz?

If so, what sort of improvments does it make...is it a sharper picture or summink?

I just wonder why so many say they have problems.....

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kirk,

Don't let it scare you! Most 100Hz sets were pretty awful when they first came out, but now the awful sets seem to be moving into the minority. Mainly, you need to remember that some 100Hz sets are better than other 100Hz sets - they are not all equal (not by a long way!). Also, many problems that Joe Public reports with 100Hz sets these days are simply down to them using inappropriate settings for the additional digital processing that is present on these 100Hz sets (which is there in an attempt to create a HDTV-like signal from a PAL one). Many of the problems are also down to poor broadcast quality. Some artefacts do remain, but they tend to be not as common as you might think. Certainly, a 100Hz TV in itself is a good thing IMO. It's the extra digital processing that you have to be more careful with. For this reason, I personally opted to purchase a set that had just plain 100Hz, to avoid any potential artefacts. The only problem I have is that horizontal fast scrolling text is difficult to read, but this is something that doesn't bother me at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the benefits of 100Hz far outweigh the problems (if you get a decent 100Hz set). I could never go back to 50Hz again now.

7. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah ha! Now that seems to make a little more sense to ickle Kirky!

What do you reckon chaps to these guys problem? Is there set's trying to do something whizbang?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not familiar with your set, Peter, but maybe the Natural option is "full 100Hz with digital processing" and the 100Hz option is just "plain 100Hz", which would mean you would still see the line flicker in 100Hz mode.

Just a shot in the dark.....

9. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    the first thing I noticed about 100htz TV is how smooth the motion is.

10. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sqirrel god is spot on on this, the tosh i have has a natural mode but it doesnt make a lot of difference to some material, any picture problems seem to be caused by analogue broadcasts and this is when dnr seems to work best for me. i think if a sets giving a good picture the enhancements don't do a lot. a month ago i would not touch 100hz tv but next to my beloved sony 32" 50 hz the tosh 100hz is better especially as far as tizzing and moire are concerned. the only thing i miss is the completely natural look of the sony picture, but this particular set (sony) has one of the best pictures apart from caveats mentioned, that i have seen on any tv.