1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flicker filter on DVD players or DVD discs?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cybersoga, May 22, 2003.

1. cybersoga

Apr 7, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Do dvd players that have interlaced RGsB output use a flicker filter? see here for what i mean, at the bottom of the page or do they display the fields as they are (unfiltered) and let the dvd mastering houses do the filtering if they so wish? or does it vary from player to player?

this guide on edge enhancement suggests that filtering is applied to DVD's to reduce flickering, so i'm thinking there shouldnt be any more filtering done by the dvd player?

The reason I ask is i'm wondering whether upgrading to a progressive scan DVD player would mean no flicker filter and therefore sharper pictures...

I know that having a progressive scan DVD player would mean that the deinterlacing would be done digitally before the picture is converted to anologue so there should be a bit of an improvement, are there any other reasons why a progressive scan dvd player would be better than an external deinterlacer?