FleXy Stand

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by NPM108, Feb 24, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am planning on building a FleXy Stand for my entire a/v equipment but main priority is to place my new DLP TV, which weights 32kg net weight.

I would like a width of 230cm, height will be around 50cm and depth yet to be decided by probably around 70cm or so.

I think the 3 leg flexy design wouldn't handle the weight, unless perhaps I go to a 25mm MDF board and maybe slightly thicker rods 24mm? Any thoughts here ppl?

My other two options are to go for a 4 leg design with the above sizes of materials or maybe go for an eight leg design. A group of four legs on each side of the TV to create 60cm sections with the TV sitting in the middle which would break down to 110cm for the TV and two 60cm sections each side.

I plan on having 3 shelves, with the space between the first (lowest) and the second shelf of 15cm for DVD player, sky box etc, and the space between the second and third (top) shelf of 23cm to house my Centre speaker and other equipment.

I forgot to mention that my AMP (30kg) will also be on the top shelf as it won't fit elsewhere due to its height and will be the best place for ventilation too.

Eye level from my seating position is 100cm and the centre of my new TV is 50cm, so by my calcs! 50+50cm gives me my 100cm eye level reducing the chance of being off vertical axis viewing, something DLP TVs aren't very good with.

The only downside to all this is that the total height of the TV is 84cm and with the 50cm cabinet puts me at 135cm, which is lowest I can come down with the bottom of my projector screen. Given a recommendation I read that the bottom of the PJ screen should be 90cm off the floor I am out a bit on this. Unfortunately I can't get the screen to come down in front of the TV due to the position of the screen and the projector when considering the throw ratio I have.

I hope that having the first, lower shelf at only 5cm off the ground won't be too much of an issue?

Any advice you can give me on building a FleXy unit of this size would be most welcomed. I have read the TNT guide and another one where the guy had a Piano Black finish done on his MDF.

Thanks

2. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess this isn't a very active part of the forum with not much help around :(

3. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've built a Flexy rack and think they're very good, but I wouldn't recommend one for the application you're planning. In order to carry all that weight (especially as it will all be at the top) then you're quite right that you'd need to use probably double 18mm or 25mm MDF, the very thick threaded bars and probably need more than three uprights.

There is a problem with this: firstly the thicker threaded rods cost a fortune (relatively) and secondly, by the time you've made the rack sturdy enough to hold all that weight, it will be rigid and negate the sl flexing of the rack that is supposed to counter some of the vibration transmission.

I wouldn't bother if you have to put the TV on it, go for something conventional. For just the audio equipment it should be fine though, my rack was made with 18mm MDF and 12mm rods (as I couldn't get 16 or 18mm) and it supports my AX5i (at the top), 757Ai, CD player and three Linn power amps with no problems. I just have serious reservations about taking the design so wide.

HTH

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I was a bit concerned because of the size and I'm glad you also think it would be a problem.

I can make a rigid unit for the TV with 25mm MDF and thicker rods which I will also support with Stainless Steel Tubes over the rods/nuts. And then will build two flexi racks either side 3 shelves only or there abouts with thinner MDF and rods as you suggest.

Did you build yours on a three or four leg design.

Thanks,

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds a better idea, a central heavy duty beast with normal flexys either side :thumbsup: . The tubing is a nice idea, but won't work as you won't be able to tighten the nuts (or adjust the shelves later should you wish to - a big bonus in my experience).

Mine is a three leg design, it is the best choice as a tripod is inherently more stable than a four legged design.

6. Stew

Stew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you point me in the direction of this? cheers. :thumbsup:

I'm sure I've seen a flexy someone had built to hold a tv with separate flexys on the side for equipment, I don't think you would need extremely thick rods to take the weight, as long as you didn't build it too tall.
    I built my flexi out of m16 stainless steel rod and (I think) 18mm ply.
    Mine uses three legs, but I wish now I had went for four, seems a little too flexy to me.

HTH :smashin:

7. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stew I'll post it tomorrow, as its bookmarked in the office. Looks very smart, but he went for a Gold Sprayed rods etc which aren't to my liking!