1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FleXy Stand for Complete A/V System - Advice

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by NPM108, Feb 23, 2005.

1. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am planning on building a FleXy Stand for my entire a/v equipment but main priority is to place my new DLP TV, which weights 32kg net weight.

I would like a width of 230cm, height will be around 50cm and depth yet to be decided by probably around 70cm or so.

I think the 3 leg flexy design wouldn't handle the weight, unless perhaps I go to a 25mm MDF board and maybe slightly thicker rods 24mm? Any thoughts here ppl?

My other two options are to go for a 4 leg design with the above sizes of materials or maybe go for an eight leg design. A group of four legs on each side of the TV to create 60cm sections with the TV sitting in the middle which would break down to 110cm for the TV and two 60cm sections each side.

I plan on having 3 shelves, with the space between the first (lowest) and the second shelf of 15cm for DVD player, sky box etc, and the space between the second and third (top) shelf of 23cm to house my Centre speaker and other equipment.

I forgot to mention that my AMP (30kg) will also be on the top shelf as it won't fit elsewhere due to its height and will be the best place for ventilation too.

Eye level from my seating position is 100cm and the centre of my new TV is 50cm, so by my calcs! 50+50cm gives me my 100cm eye level reducing the chance of being off vertical axis viewing, something DLP TVs aren't very good with.

The only downside to all this is that the total height of the TV is 84cm and with the 50cm cabinet puts me at 135cm, which is lowest I can come down with the bottom of my projector screen. Given a recommendation I read that the bottom of the PJ screen should be 90cm off the floor I am out a bit on this. Unfortunately I can't get the screen to come down in front of the TV due to the position of the screen and the projector when considering the throw ratio I have.

I hope that having the first, lower shelf at only 5cm off the ground won't be too much of an issue?

Any advice you can give me on building a FleXy unit of this size would be most welcomed. I have read the TNT guide and another one where the guy had a Piano Black finish done on his MDF.

2. yamoda

yamoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the A4 M12 stainless steel rod from screwfix direct, its strong enough for any A/V rack. On that sort of width I would use 4 rods (my rack is 5ft wide and I used 4 rods, the front 2 are about 2" in from the corners and the rears are about 18" in from the sides, better positioned to take the weight of my tv.