Flexible Working Hours

mjn

Distinguished Member
We have a new boss here at work, and he is not keen on my working hours.

I work 8.00 - 16.30 with a 1 hour lunch, except on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, were i work 8.00 - 16:15 and take a 45 min lunch.

If he refuses, i can formly request "flexible working hours" as i'm a parent of an 13 month old. However, anybody had "flexible working hours" request refused?

The reason i need to finish at 16:15 is so that i can collect my daughter from nursery at 17.45, before they shut at 18.00. Should i collect late, then i will be fined for every 15 mins i'm late.

CGizzi

Novice Member
Pretty sure the boss has too look into the circumstances, otherwise ACAS will give you all the answers you need.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
My missus had this problem when she came back after maternity. Despite others doing it unofficially she had to go through the proper channels where they declined it.

nheather

Distinguished Member
The rules for be able to sacrifice some of your lunchtime is generally set by the company policy. I think employment law mandates that the employer must have a break but I don't think it is as much as the traditional one hour nor am I sure whether it allows staff to choose to give it up.

However, all the companies I have worked for have mandated a one hour break in its policy and have not allowed staff to work some of it in order to leave earlier.

However, all employers are obliged by law to consider requests for flexible working. They do not have to agree with them but if they do not they have to give you a form response for the reason. Reason for denying it is usually related to the job - for example if you are the company receptionist, the company could argue that it is not acceptable for you to leave at 3pm leaving the front desk unmanned.

So you need to make a formal request to HR and see what their response is. It is not acceptable for your manager to just say no - he has to give a formal response with his reason.

I appreciate advice like this is easier said than done - a lot depends on the size of the company and the delicacy of the working environment.

Cheers,

Nigel

Just read your post again. Do you not use the nursery on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Just read your post again. Do you not use the nursery on Tuesdays and Thursdays?
Yes, but my gf collects on those days.

We've both had to adjust our working hours slightly.

mjn

Distinguished Member
There is 8 of us in the team, with people working as late as 18:30, obviously they start at 10:00.

New Born

Novice Member
In stead of cutting your breaks, would it be possible to start 15mins earlier (07:45), or work the extra 15mins on Mon/Wed ?

What does he have in mind, has he said?
Is it just you or all 8 of you?

unique

We have a new boss here at work, and he is not keen on my working hours.

I work 8.00 - 16.30 with a 1 hour lunch, except on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, were i work 8.00 - 16:15 and take a 45 min lunch.

If he refuses, i can formly request "flexible working hours" as i'm a parent of an 13 month old. However, anybody had "flexible working hours" request refused?

The reason i need to finish at 16:15 is so that i can collect my daughter from nursery at 17.45, before they shut at 18.00. Should i collect late, then i will be fined for every 15 mins i'm late.

what are your contractual hours, and how long have you been doing the hours stated above? you may have set a precendence of working those hours, thus your new boss may not be able to change them back

you have the right to request flexbible working hours, but you don't have the right to be granted them. in other words you can ask, but they can just say no

by law the minimum break is 20 minutes per six hours

what hours does your boss want you to work? can't you work out a compromise? have you spoke to your HR department or union rep if you have one? what hours do your other collegues work? by boss, do you mean line manager, and how many managers are above you? is it a small, medium or large business, and how long have you been employed roughly?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Is the problem core hours, eg, cover from 9-5?
Out of the team of 8, 3 of us are Windows Support, i do 8 - 16.30, somebody else does 9-5.30, and another person does 10 - 18.30. This provides cover for the core hours of 9-5 as requested by the new boss.

mjn

Distinguished Member
In stead of cutting your breaks, would it be possible to start 15mins earlier (07:45), or work the extra 15mins on Mon/Wed ?

What does he have in mind, has he said?
Is it just you or all 8 of you?
Can't start any earlier than 8am, as i use public transport to work, and i already get up at 5.40am to get to work for 8am.

Working later than 16.30 on the Tuesday and Thursday is an option.

From the discussion we had, i believe that he doesn't want one rule for one person, and one rule for everybody else. This just smacks of inflexibility to me, and will come back to bite him on the ass, when, on a Friday afternoon, he wants somebody to work a weekend, to perform some customer work.

mjn

Distinguished Member
what hours does your boss want you to work? can't you work out a compromise? have you spoke to your HR department or union rep if you have one? what hours do your other collegues work? by boss, do you mean line manager, and how many managers are above you? is it a small, medium or large business, and how long have you been employed roughly?
New boss, hasn't decided what hours he wants us to work. I have a 1:1 with new manager next week, where he will give me his final decision. If after that, he refuses then i'll go to Hr, and make a formal request for flexible working hours.

I work for a Global company, although their UK presence is quite small (only 300 employees) but they're quite Mickey Mouse really.

unique

New boss, hasn't decided what hours he wants us to work. I have a 1:1 with new manager next week, where he will give me his final decision. If after that, he refuses then i'll go to Hr, and make a formal request for flexible working hours.

I work for a Global company, although their UK presence is quite small (only 300 employees) but they're quite Mickey Mouse really.
if it's a large company then they should have a reasonable HR dept who will be aware of the law. if you have worked the hours you have said for some time (ie. a couple of years) then they may not be able to easily change your hours without your agreement, even if your contract states the hours as something else. it just sounds like a new line manager so he presumably has a number of managers above him and would have to follow the appropriate procedures and consult with HR

is the boss new to the company completely, or just new to the post?

how long have you been employed there yourself, and how long have you been doing the hours you mention? i presume you aren't employed on flexi time?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Well, i had my 1:1 last week. My new boss confirmed that from now on i will not be able to leave 15 mins early on the Mon, Wed, and Fri. So i spoke to a lawyer (friend of a friend) who said although i had agreement with my previous manager, it was more of an informal arrangement as it was done via e-mail.

So, i went to the BERR website and downloaded the official forms and sent them to HR. The next step is wait and see they say.

lynx

Whether the arrangement was formal or informal isn't the issue at point.Your previous manager agreed to your request to introduce a change into your hours of work which has subsequently became customary for you to work these mutually agreed new hours. Was there an express term in the agreement with your previous manager that this would be for a limited period or a trial, if not i'd be considering arguing custom and practise.