flexible recording

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by martin15, Aug 21, 2004.

1. martin15

martin15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a Panasonic e55 DVD recorder, I attempted to record a number of programs using videoplus. The total length of the programs was just over 3 hours so I decided to set each program to FR mode. The first two programs showed the OK but program three showed the warning !. I then set all 3 programs to LP defeating the purpose of having FR mode.
    What did I do wrong?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Were you recording using PDC? You can not use flexible reocrding with PDC, as PDC doesn't work by stop times, only by the start time/channel/date, and as PDC will over-ride the timer if the program runs late/extended, the recorder can not know by how much this will be, so is unable to calculate how much space the recordings will take up.

Regards

Philip

3. martin15

martin15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PDC was off. I tried again today using Videoplus to record a programme tonight of 65 minutes and then a film over two hours in length with FR mode set for both. Programme one was OK but the exclamation mark appeared against programme 2.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    You cannot record two programmes using Flexible Record on one disk as that feature fills the disk with the first film. So for example you have to use SP for the first programme, and then FR for the final programme.

5. martin15

martin15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rasczak it is logical given the way FR mode works.

6. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst that’s certainly true for most programmes, especially films, because they tend to be well over 30 mins duration it doesn't hold as a blanket statement. I realise that you were probably just referring to Martin's example, but I would like to point out in that if the combined running time of two or more programmes is less than or equal to 1 hour then you CAN record them to the same disc using FR. They will be recorded at a bitrate equivalent to XP. Of course this won't apply to Martin's situation in this instance.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
    That's because the maximum bitrate allowed in DVD recording is 9.8MBits/S and this cannot be exceeded. In such instances you might as well use XP mode.