• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Flexible cat5

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Well it all bends. But if you want particulalr bendy cable, buy "patch" cable which has multi-stranded conductor cores and is thus more bendy and less prone to breaking if you do so repeatedly.

In contrast, "normal" UTP cable (used for permanently installed cable runs) is has a single "solid" core in each wire, and thus whilst bendable, will eventually fatigue and break if you do it too hard and/or too often.

"Solid" is designed for creating the infrastructure links, "patch" is mostly used for hooking things up at the ends.

Technically, I believe there are some slightly different electrical characteristics between the two, (don't ask me what they are!) but for the sort of tens-of-metres lengths you're likely to use in a typical domestic setting runing something like ethernet over it, I doubt you'll discern any difference.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom