1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Tracey, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was thinking of buying this as I've heard the sound quality is excellent, but I haven't got DVD audio yet so would just be playing it back on a 5.1 system. I just wondered if the sound quality would be better than the CD version? I've got Missy Elliot - so addictive on DVD-A and the sound on that is great, even though I was disappointed with the actual album.

2. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Tracey,

The Rumours DVD-A is superb, the difference between that and the CD is almost chalk and cheese (almost enough to make me sell my CD8 and get a 757i :D). I've not used the CD layer, however, but if you're planning to get DVD-A in the future, it's a great disc.

3. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you like Fleetwood Mac then it is worth getting a dvd audio/surround system just to hear this version.

By the way I saw them in Manchester last week - they can still cut it.

4. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have 2 copies of this album on vinyl and a copy on CD, and the high resolution DVD-A tracks blow those copies away! The DVD-A stereo track is really superb, and sounds like the album was recorded yesterday! The surround tracks are ok, but IMO are not so good.

5. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well thanks for the replies, sounds like it's worth getting then, I'm not really a fan but I think they're ok and if the sound quality is superb then I can probably be converted. It's an xmas present for my boyfriend, trying to make him realise that it was worth spending all that money on my new toys :)

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,045
    Well it must be good the Rumours vinyl is supposed to be one of the best mastered and pressed albums of all time.:eek:

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    I also have both the vinyl and DVD-A copies. I have to admit, using my vinyl front end (a Xerxes) the DVD-A does not "blow away" the vinyl copy by any stretch of the imagination. It's a lot (a lot, lot) better than the CD copy i had, but that was mainly because the CD version is **** poor.

Comparing Vinyl to DVD-A (or any digital source) is worthless unless you have a reasonable to good replay system, including phono stage. But then so is comparing DVD-A/SACD to CD unless your CD player is up to scratch either!!! :D BTW No insult intended to whoevers kit.

Just a thought tis' all...................

8. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Overkill,

No offence taken.

FYI, I'm running a Linn Sondek, Ekos, Arkiv, powered by a Naim Armageddon into a Meridian 568 pre-amp via a Naim Stageline/Hi-Cap. I'd say that this could be considered a reasonably high level of vinyl replaying equipment.

I still stand by what I said, in that IMHO the Rumours DVD-A HiRes stereo track blows away both vinyl and CD -- at least it does on my system. Again FYI, the vinyl versions I have are the standard Warner Bros original UK pressing and the reissued Warner Bros 180 gm special edition pressing that was supposedly taken from the original master tapes. Perhaps you have an even better pressing.

I totally agree with your comments on the CD version, it's awful.
    I guess we also agree that Rumours is a brilliant album. At the end of the day, as long as we enjoy it, it doesn't really matter which format is used.

Cheers,
    Steve

9. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Then i'm not in the least surprised you prefer the DVD-A!! I can't stand Linn gear!!! Sorry!!:) When i worked in Hi-Fi We had a debate about what caused the most people with "high end" vinyl replay to switch to CD in the late 80's. The Sondek was voted the No.1 reason (on customer feedback)!!! Awful!!!! I want to hear the music as is, not Tiefenbrun's idea of what it should sound like!!! ;)

Worse, we met a lot of Linn zealots working in the trade brainwashed into 100% faith in the products. One well known chain that supported Linn, disiplined a guy i knew for daring to suggest to a customer there were alternatives!!! Worrying, it really was!! :thumbsdow

BTW I definitely stand by my comment that the DVD-A does NOT blow away the vinyl version!:D

10. steve1056

steve1056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I take it you don't like Linn then!!! Everyone to their own....

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    LOL!!:D You could say that..................