Fleas !!!!

i have discovered a flea or two or both of the cats we have, last night there was one on our bed...... Can anyone advise the best course of action, first time they have had them, about 3 years old !!!

Ta

cloudnine

Don't let the cat on the bed.
Fleacomb the cats every other day... its only a few fleas just keep on top of combing them rather than resorting to a toxic insecticide.

Think its only a few, cud be wrong though. Wife has a few bites. Checked their necks and found one wondering about an loads of little black bits.... possibly eggs? I don't know!!! Might resort to spray and frontline or spot on if that's what ppl use....

Berties

Banned
Black bits are flea poo. Flea eggs are white, and very small about half the size of a small pin head. yeah if it's just a couple a good combing outside should be enough. If you look through the cats fur and see quite a few, then need to put down powder, etc

mikeclark007

I suffered badly from flea bites when I once had a cat. Tried everything cheap until a vet prescribed us with some Front Line (£40-70 IIRC). Think it came in Powder form which you sprinkled around the edge of each room as well as a liquid that went on the back of the cats neck.
After a day or 2 the fleas just died and fell off so all we had to do was hoover them up from where the cat had been sleeping. Never had a problem again.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Get some Frontline, put it on the back of their neck and chuck them out of the house for the rest of the day/overnight.

akane_1984

we had a scare not so long ago with our two cats we put some effipro on there necks and bought a tin of indorex and bombed the house. Hope it gets cleared up for you...

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Frontline used correctly at the required intervals will stop them getting fleas and stop them infesting the house.

If you think you have them in the house already , keep the house clean and hoover regularly for a few days and spray the carpets and soft furnishing with a flea killer . i usually do it with the house empty and work through a room at a time , let the room air and try not to breath it in before doing another one. Don't gas yourself flea killer is quite nasty.

Once the house is clear the frontline regime and normal hoovering should keep the house flea free.

Cheers all, will get some front line today. Where can I get indorex? Also are these cheap bob Martin flea sprays a waste of time?

themilkman23

Not only a waste of money but can be quite harmful to the cats if they have a reaction to it from what I've read.

Is that the bob martin stuff yea?

I rang the vets and they suggested i buy Acclaim Flea Spray 500ML for £21 along with some frontline.....

mikeclark007

I rang the vets and they suggested i buy Acclaim Flea Spray 500ML for £21 along with some frontline.....

Agree about that Bob Martin stuff. Tried and failed for me.

This is not really much to go panicking about. It's no big deal, really.

IMHO, just give the cats a good inspection and if you see any fleas on the cats, then just crush them between your thumb nails. You'd be very lucky(?) if you get more than 10 or so on the cat and they will mostly be around the cat's ears, particularly on the edges of the ears. A few days of inspecting and doing this and 'Job Done'.

As and when you see a flea, then you are going to kill it. And if you do this, then that flea is not going to go jumping off and hide somewhere else in your house, is it?

Obviously, you have to ask yourself, "Where are they getting them from?"

A. Outside sources, such as other cats or other furry animals with fleas.

So you either have to keep your cat inside, which is against the nature of cats, or keep inspecting. Hopefully, on this occasion the infestation was obtained from a 'one off event'.

Last edited:

themilkman23

Sorry, yeah, that was in relation to the Bob Martin stuff.

When I was looking at stuff for our two cats the stories ranged from not working at all to having a really bad effect on the animal it was used on.

Sorry, yeah, that was in relation to the Bob Martin stuff.

When I was looking at stuff for our two cats the stories ranged from not working at all to having a really bad effect on the animal it was used on.

Well my mum had some flea spray from the vets years ago and said it was the only thing that worked after trying all the other cheap sprays and treatments !!!

This is not really much to go panicking about. It's no big deal, really.

IMHO, just give the cats a good inspection and if you see any fleas on the cats, then just crush them between your thumb nails. You'd be very lucky(?) if you get more than 10 or so on the cat and they will mostly be around the cat's ears, particularly on the edges of the ears. A few days of inspecting and doing this and 'Job Done'.

You have to ask yourself, "Where are they getting them from?"

A. Outside sources, such as other cats or other furry animals with fleas.

So you either have to keep your cat inside, which is against the nature of cats, or keep inspecting. Hopefully, on this occasion the infestation was obtained from a 'one off event'.

I see your point as when i inspected them last night i only found one or two, but what about if they are on our carpets etc? Everytime we are downstairs its abit itchier, whether that is just us or not i dont know..... but surely some flea spray would get rid of this ?
Agree about that Bob Martin stuff. Tried and failed for me.

Thought as much, its dirt cheap and thats probably why im assuming !!!

but what about if they are on our carpets etc? Everytime we are downstairs its abit itchier, whether that is just us or not i dont know

Hmmm? And where do you say you live? Hmmm? ;)

on the animal of course....... so what ur trying to get at is, they wont be on the carpet?

'They' is more of an 'it' or maybe an 'it x 2' or maybe even an 'it x 3'.

This is why it's best to manually inspect the cat and manually kill the fleas as and when you see any.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Frontline the cats, and forget cleaning the carpets and furniture for a few days. Fleas can only live in cats / dogs / etc, and not in carpets or rugs. Once your cats have been treated, within a couple of days they'll die and fall off. Fleas don't live for long at all. Any further fleas jumping on your pet, will drink the tainted blood and die.

akane_1984

we got our can of indorex from the vet but you can buy it on Amazon too we're planning on buying another can as backup

Ended ip getting 2 cans of acclaim which is what the vets were gonna give me and a 6 pack of frontline for 34 delivered compared to buying from vet, would of been 68 quid.

Got the dispatched email too so shud get tomorrow :)

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Frontline is a lot cheaper online, I've just bought x2 packs of 6 for £34 online. VetUK I think.

My kitten was scratching its ears like mad... Paranoia.com

Frontline is a lot cheaper online, I've just bought x2 packs of 6 for £34 online. VetUK I think.

You've spent £34 trying to get rid of a couple of fleas on a kitten?

IMHO, I think your decision on this must be mad. With all due respect to you personally, of course.

To earn £34, some people have to first pay for their costs to travel to work, and to get back home again, and then spend several hours working to earn the £34. And that's ignoring taxes that are deducted from their pay and also the cost of some warm clothes to get to work in the cold.

Surely, the kitten can't be covered in fleas. If you were to inspect it, then it will probably have no more than about 3 of them as a maximum. These will be parked up around the kitten's ears and can easily be crushed between your thumb nails. Problem sorted - until the kitten goes outside a few weeks later and gets a couple of fleas again. But so what? I'm sure you'll be inspecting it regularly and would deal with any new fleas as and when.

Berties

Banned
yeah have to agree close to £40 for two fleas? Having cats I know difference between the odd flea, and an infestation.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022