1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaws in films

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ytgti, Jan 5, 2003.

1. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have you ever notice anything in a film that the director obviously missed.

I remember a film when i was younger, can't remember much about it but it was meant to be set in like roman times or something and there was a shot of this old wooden rowing boat and it the distance there was a ocean liner on the horizion. Very strange, but it definatly didn't fit in with the date of the film!

Also i cant belive that this got into the film but the begining
    of Goldeneye when he jumps of the dam, the camera shows you him leap then it changes to another angle and very breifly you can seen a crane on the dam that holds him out further so the stuntman didn't hit the dam on the way down. Shouldn't of been there!

Anyone else noticed this. I hope it hasn't been brought up before,but oh well.:)

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sometimes trawl imdb.com for the goofs in films (you can click on "Goofs" on the left hand side for lots of movies). Often, there are a hell of a lot listed that I just never noticed.

For example, here are all the goofs for Training Day (obviously, don't click if you haven't seen the movie as it contains spoilers):

http://us.imdb.com/Goofs?0139654

Here are all the goofs for Monsters Inc, including plot holes (likewise, contains spoilers):

http://us.imdb.com/Goofs?0198781

Fun stuff, but does ruin a bit of the magic if you never noticed them in the first place.

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll go for the obvious one and say the stormtrooper nutting himself on the door.

4. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There a website called moviemistakes.com or something like that.

5. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Squirrel God, i'll have a look through them later.

Now people will trawl through them and pick one out.:mad: thanks SG:D ;)

They didn't mention the one i said about in golden eye.

One more i remember. In Terminator 2 John Connors bike is a 4 stroke, but they've dubbed a two stroke engine sound in that's got about 9 gears.:confused:

6. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is very important to have flaws in films, otherwise, what would the actors stand on:confused:

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I used to like reading up on mistakes in movies - always good for a quick laugh. www.movie-mistakes.com is a good place to start

tbh though who is so observant to notice some of these mistakes? Apparently LOTR had over 100 mistakes in it - I noticed one after many repeated viewings :D

One of these was that you could see Frodo's thermal socks UNDERNEATH his fake foot - now IMHO noticing something like that shows that you have WAY too much free time. Why watch a film if you're just looking for mistakes?

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I think there were something like 100 historical and filming mistakes in pearl harbour, the one that instanly springs to mind is a plane flying over a reporter filming and he gets blown up, camera angle changes and there he is still standing there.

9. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    The ones I detest are the gun-freaks who oan about the timing of the gunshots being out of out sync or erronious with regard to the action, and type of weapon , number of bullets held in magazine etc.... jeez boring or what!

10. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From movie-mistakes:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film.php?filmid=1778

Lord Of The Rings - 180 mistakes. I've just read the first page and IMO not one of them is important :D

a, it's sad that people notice stuff like this
    b, it's sadder that people think a film is bad because it has these kind of 'mistakes'

11. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

No, one person says something and everybody else agrees without knowing if it is true or not. It is the way of the Internet...always will be :)

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree :p

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm partial to the one that's in probably 30% of all the movies ever made. Thunder and lightning don't happen at the same time! (unless it's really, really close)

14. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Or people putting a lighter under a fire sprinkler and it causes the whole lot to go off.

15. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think there is someone wearing a wristwatch in Gladiator. Can't remember which scene though.

Oh and in the AOTC extras they say that in the original trilogy Boba Fett appeared with his trousers rolled up, period-drama style, and his knee-caps on upside down. :D

MuFu.

16. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Sounds Painfull

17. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Someone is seen wearing Nike trainers too :):rolleyes:

18. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    LOL! Yeah sorry, knee-PADS on upside down. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MuFu.

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Endor power station explosion in Return of the Jedi, Han Solo runs out of the door towards the camera and his reflection runs the other way! Doh!

I think firearms use on film is pretty accurate now actually Mr D, all these ex-military types who act as firearms/military consultants do their job well and studios learnt their esson after the 80s and Arnie's neverending magazines. And no it isn't boring, it's important for realism.

20. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the Batman movie with the Penguin (is that Batman Returns?)

At the end when the Penguin slips into the pool, if you keep watching you see the little trolly he was on sink to the bottom

21. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Not all movie mistakes are for anally-retentive fans. Some are just major continuity errors that SHOULD have been noted.

Examples:

1) Terminator 2: In the sequence where John Connor is being chased in the truck by the T-1000, the truck jumps the bridge, then crashes. The window is all smashed to pieces, so the T-1000 punches the whole thing out. We jump to John Connor pulling away on his little motorbike, and then we cut back to the truck. Oh dear, the windscreen is now back in place. This happens several times in this scene. Surely SOMEONE should have noticed this?

2) Manhunter:
    Error A) At the end when the Tooth Fairy is killed by Will Graham, he is shotgunned to death with a 12-bore, through his stomach and chest. He lands on the floor, with his arms out wide, and blood pouring from the resultant wound, all over the floor. We cut away to Graham, then back to the body, with a floor-level camera shot. Oh look, now there's no blood! Ummmm!!! :D

Error B) When the Tooth Fairy kills Reba's (the blind-woman's) friend, just before the end sequence. The Tooth Fairy shoots him and we hear two gun shots, silenced. The on-screen image, though, displays four or five gun flashes! Special effect, new type of weapon, or continuity bluff? I go for the latter.

Pooch

22. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Having worked on umpteen films that involved muzzle flash additions on guns that had either run out of ammo or the actors were not actually firing the guns at the time of the flash or the guns themselves were rubber I'd have to disagree with you. And I wasn't particularly bothered that we were using the wrong type of flash for the type of gun or even just a fuzzy bright shape that we'd actually draw by hand.

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely that's to save on costs and for safety

hate to say it, but isn't it your job to be bothered about exactly those kinds of things?

24. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Making films has surprisingly little to do with reality. Given the choice of having a flash in at a particular point to give a shot rythmn and continuity (films are rarely shot in continuity) the director will always go for something that makes the whole scene work rather than a specific shot and I must say I tend to agree.

The issue with muzzle flashes is that they are rarely consistent looking due to the nature of film cameras and guns themselves: in fact when they are consistent they tend to look wrong. You can fire a dozen rounds in one shot and not capture a single flash and then capture loads on the next take.

Also the loads used in filming behave differently to real ammo. Sometimes cheaper guns are made up to look like more expensive ones and as a result will still behave differently to the real life gun they are trying to copy . Live ammo tends to be fairly unimpressive looking on film... unless you happen to be standing in front of the gun at the time!

Rubber guns are useful because you don't need a registered armourer on set to use them and you can throw them around and they won't kill anyone... you don't need to worry about giving the extras firearms training either. Unfortunately sometimes it will be decided that in a given shot someone looks better if they fire one or two rounds off but no-one thought to get the real guns and armourer in that day. Also the editing of a scene can be rearranged from its original intended shot order and continuity can suddenly become problematic especially with things like gunshots ( glasses of drink and cigarettes are also the usual culprets).

I've worked on one show where a load of muzzle flashes from real weapons were shot in advance so we could add them in where required. (still blanks though) Rather than use the correct flash for each weapon in the shots the director preffered one type so we used it all the time: again no one is bothered apart from the director who gets the flash he wanted.

25. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought but do the actors with the rubber guns 'act' the kickback that the real weapon would give?:D

26. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    Sometimes ...sometimes not ...sometimes the director wants the shot at a slightly different time and we have to chop the arms out and reanimate and warp them to match the new bang. ( this type of work normally produces much groaning and swearing)

27. DaveG

DaveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I read somewhere that during the charriot race in Ben Hur, a red sports car could be seen in the background, I've seen this film countless times, and I can't see it. I think someone released this story, to make a dull scene interesting.;)

28. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in the spy that shagged me, the zebra crossing scene in carnaby st. you can see great rolling countryside hills in the background-this in the middle of london.

29. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Me, Emma & ReTrO Had to check this out straight away.... our faces were.... :eek: ,:eek: &:eek:

And there was a white lorry and a few bodies walking about on top of the dam!

LOL!:D

Taz.

30. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You mean to say you didn't believe me! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Good isn't it, i just can't believe Martin Campbell didn't notice. I