Flatscreen curves!

D

Dr.Magus

I've got a 32" tosh and lines that are supposed to be straight curve upwards at the bottom,downwards at the top and inwards at the sides! I have to say it's only when looking at the Sky programme guide i see the curves.

I spoke to the dealer who told me no flatscreen tv has truly straight horizontal or vertical lines and that his own tv isn't perfect. Is this true of all flatscreen tvs?

I'm generally happy with the picture as there's no problem when watching a normal programme and as i'm on my second tosh and it's in an upstairs room i'd rather not have the hassle of having it replaced only for the replacement to be exactly the same.

Is there anyone out there with a £600-800 flatscreen who does have truly straight lines? Is this a problem that isn't really a problem because if so i'll shut up about it! I'm only asking cos there's people out there who know far more about this than i do!

:)

Perfect geometry is hardly ever attainable, however you shouldn't have to put up with geometry as bad as you describe... the sides may be correctable in the service menu but you're stuck with the top and bottom as they are.

You may remember me and others posting about this TV when you had it on order.

I have the new Toshiba 28Z23B which has terrible geometry on left side. It is a shame as otherwise the picture is really good.
However the set is about to go back (if they ever get round to it?) as the stand on this model is YUK! with the 1/2" chipboard panel directly under the tv bowing under the weight!:rolleyes:

Rct - yes i remember yourself and others telling me about the problems you had. To be honest the curves are only about 4-5 millimetres and like i said it only looks weird when i look at the Sky programme guide!

Still, if i can correct the sides then that'd be something.

Dr Magus,

Get in touch with your retailer who should be able to despatch an engineer to help correct this pincushion effect. I doubt he'll be able to get rid of it completely as I have never seen perfect geometry on a CRT TV. Also, as has already been said, almost all horizontal geometry imperfections cannot be corrected in the service menu (including the one you describe). However, there is a good chance that he can improve the vertical geometry (particularly if the distortion is symmetrical). :)

Originally posted by rct
Perfect geometry is hardly ever attainable
True - for CRTs. Much less true for flat panels (LCD, Plasma). The sooner these are in mass production, with sensible prices..... the better.

Originally posted by nigel
True - for CRTs. Much less true for flat panels (LCD, Plasma). The sooner these are in mass production, with sensible prices..... the better.
Flat panels have perfect geometry. I can't wait for the prices to come down either :)

This from http://www.whatvideotv.com/articles/index.html

"Many of my correspondents get hot under the collar about picture geometry, primarily the straightness (or rather lack of it!) of lines at the edges of the image. This can be checked on a teletext display. Geometry is governed by the accuracy of the magnetic scanning field generated within the tube neck by the scanning yoke, and can be adjusted, to a greater or lesser degree - depending on what the manufacturer provides - by a technician. The settings are stored in software in an EEPROM chip, and are initially set to optimum by an optical/computer system at the factory. Thereafter the data modulates the scan-coil currents at line and field rate to pull the picture into reasonable shape.

The scan geometry can rarely be made perfect. There are always 'tolerances' in the manufacture of the scan yoke, and almost everything in life is a compromise. So it comes down to what's acceptable, and here things get a bit woolly! It's very hard to get a figure from a manufacturer, though one in the 'middle rank' of the quality/price range told me that he considered a 6mm deviation from dead straight in a line near the border of a 32in widescreen acceptable.

To me this sounds a little excessive, but what's perfectly reasonable in a budget set certainly wouldn't be in a £2,000 bigscreen TV. It depends, too, on the shape of the distortion and how visible it is on a picture at a reasonable viewing distance."

Bluetyler,

I've read that article before on the website. People should be sure to click on the link and read what happened when they contacted some manufacturers to ask them about their tolerances :D

Agree mate,

btw thanks for the Memento link.

Could this possibly be the ultimate cult movie?

I loved every second, clever? Way past that, improves with every viewing IMO.

jankis? my arm says NO!!!!!

:)

JG

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom