flat tyres...

Egg White

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
got an interesting one here - as my lady has had a couple of flat tyres in the space of a few weeks... bot thimes they had items stuck in the tyre, the first time was possibly (I say possibly - as we never removed it as we were going to get the tyre repaired and leaving in it would make locating the hole quicker) a long shard of plastic / metal with a plastic head of around 1cm wide...

while the other one was a screw with a narrow head (just a bit wider than the screw itself) - both were fully lodged into the tyre...

is this common - or rather is it possible for a screw to get fully lodged into a tyre whilst driving along?
just my lady has to park in front of the neighbours house and it all seems a bit fishy to me... they were both in the main tread of the tyre and not the side...

I know that the chances are picking up a screw are greater with new tyres as they have lots of grooves and are sticky.

could be plain bad luck, sometimes I try not to read into situations too much.

Look at the screw and you should be able to see if it has been 'travelling' with the tyre e.g. scrapes and scratches etc from connecting with the road surface.

thanks guys, but sadly the screw is long gone now :(

I've picked up screws and nails in tyres - including two in two months in the same tyre which was particularly irritating. The last one was in a run flat which was "not repairable" according to the tyre place despite being only lightly worn.
If you're concerned about sabotage then check around the car before you set off. It should be pretty obvious if someone is dropping stuff in front of the wheels.

I managed to run over an industrial screw. was about 5 inches long and as think as a finger. Somehow it didnt damage the alloy and even more incredible was the tyre didnt go down. Couldnt believe the size of the thing when i pulled it out of the wheel. New tyre needed unfortunately.

yep, these things happen I guess... :)

I've noticed more and more nails and screws on the roads these days. I think a mix of councils not sweeping the roads as often due to cuts, and builders preference for open back pick-ups has made punctures more common. I'm a very observant person, and whenever I am on foot I generally scan the road surface near me and pick up lots of screws/nails etc. Almost daily when I do the school run I encounter one or more, and one time when I was wasting time wandering whilst a client was out on test in my car I picked up 17 nails/screws within 100m, although 12 were outside one house where there was evidence of ongoing building work. Whilst walking through a nearby village I picked up hundreds that I assume was from a box full which must have been bounced out of a pick-up by a particularly vicious speed bump.
I myself have had 3 punctures this year, having not had one for over a decade prior.

I didn't have a puncture for years. Then I had two in two days. Sod's law really.

Puncture are all just down to luck/millage. We've had 3 punctures in the same side/tyre of our Civic in the last 3 years....so waiting for it again this year :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom