Flat tv's with hard disk

O

outer

Hello guys,

I am preparing to buy my first "expensive" tv, however i am a bit confused about the hard disk issue that some tv's have.

I have searched the market and it seems that only the LG's come with hard disk to automatically record somthing on the TV... I was wondering why didnt the other big brands go in this area? I suppose is very convinient to have a hard disk on the tv, but i think there might be an issue missing.

Well in order not to open another topic i suppose i can ask some things over here. I am a begginner in lcd's and plasma's so i need some advice from you guys who are the experts...

I was bubbling for one week between LCD and Plasma and i decided to go the the LCD because of the fact that the lighting would not reflect on its screen, since my living room has quite a lot of light with 2 out of the 4 walls having huge windows...

Now i am bubbled in deciding the brand. I have absolutely no idea about who makes better LCD's or if they are all similar.
I am between:
Sony - 40S2530 or 40S2010 --> I dont care about the extra HDMI
Sony 40V2500 --> although is about 100 pounds above my budget
Sony 40P2530
Toshiba 42C3000

Is there anything else you can reccommend similar to the above?

Also are there any shops on the internet that ship globally? I have found many shops online but i couldnt find any that ship to cyprus...

Thanks very very very much in advance guys! :hiya:

Firstly what's your budget?
Very good models the Sony S2530,V2500.The S2510 is light blue and S2530 black(technically are the same).Toshiba very good too.But why dont about Sony 40S3000?(If you can give the money that costs)

To answer your original question:

Humax make combined TV and PVR/s: http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/dtv_lcd32_LP32-TDR1.asp
As they go, Humax is one of the more respected PVR makers. Well.....second best of what's probably a mediochre bunch overall.

Here is a good reason why such a device is only for those who are utterly insistent on having as few remotes and boxes as possible:

PVRs are inherently fairly complex devices and the current state of firmware development for all of them is less than perfect. The situation is not helped by frequent changes to certain parts of the broadcast content (such as text, EPG data, and so on) which can often interfere with less than robust firmware.

Anyhow if you have a combination device, then
.....any failure of the TV part of it means that, at least while it's being fixed, you have no means to record your programmes
.....and any failure of the recorder part of it means that, at least while it's being fixed, you can't watch TV live either.

And then there's upgrading; if you have a combined device, if you want a new TV you then also need a new PVR; and vice versa.

So, whilst you CAN buy a TV with an onboard Hard Disk (PVR), these things are only for those whose priorities so demand, I'd suggest, and separate boxes are a better idea generally.

Firstly what's your budget?
Very good models the Sony S2530,V2500.The S2510 is light blue and S2530 black(technically are the same).Toshiba very good too.But why dont about Sony 40S3000?(If you can give the money that costs)

Well my budget was from £600 - to £950 max , depending if i really need the difference that a £700 would have with the £800 one.
In cyprus s2530 is about £940, and the v2500 is £1,060 (all amounts mentioned here are translated into british pounds, thus they are about that amounts).

I found the S2010 for £850, and i am thinking about it, because as i have read the only difference with S2530 is the extra 2x HMDMI, which i dont think i need...
I didnt see the 40s3000, or probably i didnt give attention because of its value.

Is it true that if i find two TV's of the same value but one is Sony and the other is Toshiba, that the Toshiba one probably is more advance because Sony always puts a premium on the price due to its brand name?

Thanks for the reply :smashin:

To answer your original question:

Anyhow if you have a combination device, then
.....any failure of the TV part of it means that, at least while it's being fixed, you have no means to record your programmes
.....and any failure of the recorder part of it means that, at least while it's being fixed, you can't watch TV live either.

And then there's upgrading; if you have a combined device, if you want a new TV you then also need a new PVR; and vice versa.

So, whilst you CAN buy a TV with an onboard Hard Disk (PVR), these things are only for those whose priorities so demand, I'd suggest, and separate boxes are a better idea generally.

Cool thanks.

I just thought that it would be very convinient to store on hard drive rather on dvd's all the time, if i just want to watch a show...

So i suppose if i buy an LG with hard disk for £800, then the actual price of the TV quality alone, should be considered to be £700...

Welcome to the forum outer... Here's what will happen:

1. You'll spend the next several day's reading your responses from the good folk here.
2. You'll then research each of the recommendations to see what they do and spot that each manufacturer is about to bring out a new model. One sends a signal to the kettle in the kitchen over Wifi (802.11n) so that the kettle comes to the boil in time with the end of the first half of the footie. Another disables the phone and doorbell at the start of said footie and sets the missus on 'mute'... Obviously the second would take preference but the price tag.....
3. Whilst waiting for the new models, you'll hunt for and read all the reviews of all the existing models just to fill up the time, hey it's a lot of money.... these things need to be researched properly, you don't want to jump and regret it.
4. The days turn into weeks and into month's, the budget has doubled because you absolutely can't have anything less than the Okey Cokey 2000 with 3 x widget's (version 1.3a) but you now have so much knowledge of the subject, all you workmates are benefitting.... "Hey Mike, I have £800 to spend". "Easy Dave, that'll be the D3000, essept no substitute...." Dave has a new tv and is happy whilst you continue your new found hobby waiting for the 'right one'....and actually 6 months later knowing an awful lot but having purchsed nothing.......Jeez what a life.

Actually if I were you I'd buy a tv without a built in PVR and buy the Playstation 3 instead. That way you get a great games machine and a Blueray player for next to no difference in price. PS3 will shortly have a DVB Tuner also with EPG...How many hard drives do we need....??

Well my budget was from £600 - to £950 max , depending if i really need the difference that a £700 would have with the £800 one.
In cyprus s2530 is about £940, and the v2500 is £1,060 (all amounts mentioned here are translated into british pounds, thus they are about that amounts).

I found the S2010 for £850, and i am thinking about it, because as i have read the only difference with S2530 is the extra 2x HMDMI, which i dont think i need...
I didnt see the 40s3000, or probably i didnt give attention because of its value.

Is it true that if i find two TV's of the same value but one is Sony and the other is Toshiba, that the Toshiba one probably is more advance because Sony always puts a premium on the price due to its brand name?

Thanks for the reply :smashin:

Γειά σου Κύπρο!!!Εδώ ελλάδα!!!(θεσσαλονίκη για την ακρίβεια).That means that 40S3000 will be more than your budget.So:The S2530 has and increased dynamic contrast ratio.Anyway,the S2530 is very good.The 40V2500 too.Personally I wouldnt see the difference between S2530 and V2500

Γειά σου Κύπρο!!!Εδώ ελλάδα!!!(θεσσαλονίκη για την ακρίβεια).That means that 40S3000 will be more than your budget.So:The S2530 has and increased dynamic contrast ratio.Anyway,the S2530 is very good.The 40V2500 too.Personally I wouldnt see the difference between S2530 and V2500

Για σου ρε! Άρα οτι θελω να σε ρωτω ? :D

Are there any stores, that ship to cyprus?

I have just found this from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=130148902125&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

however is a store in germany and i dont know if its ok to bring it or not...

Olias, you made me laugh! :clap:

That's what i was thinking to be honest. Either buy a more expensive one, and that's it, or buy a cheap one, and also buy a plug and play hard drive, and some other staff :rolleyes:

I dont know actually, if the difference of a 600 tv to an 800 tv - would be very noticable to me.
The cheapest i am considering is an LG 42'' of 650 pounds... However i think i will stick with a sony one...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I just thought that it would be very convinient to store on hard drive rather on dvd's all the time...
Ahh well now we're into another realm. All these devices (TVs with PVRs inside, or standalone PVRs) do not record from external sources; they only record received digital broadcasts. Storing DVD material on a hard drive involves a number of things, not least of which is, circumvention of the copy protection found on most. Now, discussion of that is against forum rules.

And, finally, sorry to be a pain, but, as Moderator, I have to ask you please to conduct your dialogue in English, thanks.

Λες για το http://www.technikdirekt.de/main/la...vclub.gr%2fforum%2fshowthread.php%3ft%3d13970
στέλνει κύπρο.Επίσης το www.pixmania.com

οπότε η 40S3000 ταιριάζει στο budget!!

But basically the 40S3000 is not available in the Cypriot Pixmania! In the cypriot site not even 1 tv exists!

Guys do you know if there is much difference between 40S2530 or 40S2010 ?
Because the only difference i read was the extra HDMI, and since i dont know what HDMI then is no use for me :)

But on the technik direct has it!!!

Cool thanks,
i think if i will buy from the internet i will buy from this seller in germany "hifishop-muenchen ".

The prices are cheap over there, and his rating seems ok.:smashin:

And a suggestion:At technikdirect there are two different sony's.
40S3000
40S3010

The S3000 is more expensive,so its better to buy the 3010 which is cheaper

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom