1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat Sub Interconnect

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by petrolhead, Feb 25, 2003.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I was in a Hifi Shop the other day and noticed that they have their sub connected but a super flat interconect cable. Flat enough to lay under a rug without causing a bulge.

Anyone have any idea what this cable is? I would have asked at the shop but they were really busy as it was a Saturday

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure which one you saw but I believe the sub makers Vibe do a flat sub cable.

3. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    You nearly gave me heart failure then - it's £40 for 6m not 10 :)

Well thought of cable, I don't know what sub you have but the QED guys at the Bristol show felt that it was great for subs like the rel quake but if you had a quality sub (& i'm not dissing quakes you know what I mean), then you should look at their full size cables

6. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Opps yeh should be £60.

I run a Rel Strata III

7. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not wishing to send this thread off an a complete tangent, but it may well do. Being interested in flat cables as I have some significant rewiring to undertake over the next week or so, I went off to the Nordost site to have a look. Sure enough, cable nice and flat but in the list of characteristics, there is a measure 'propogation delay' expressed as a precentage of the speed of light.

This intrigued me somewhat as being aware that the speed of light is extremely fast (299,792,458 m/s), what difference does any delay make to the average room. The Valhalla Extreme Reference cable is quoted at 96% (287,800,759.68 m/s) and the Super Flatline at 91% (272,811,136.78 m/s).
    For an average say 6m travel the time delay between the two is approximately 0.00000000115 seconds. This I believe is somewhat beyond the capability of the human ear to detect. Is a humble cable from Maplins which has a delay of say 50% which now delivers a time delay of 0.00000001918 seconds against the Valhalla significant?

I don't want to re-open the arguement relating to how sound reproduction is improved or not by spending small fortunes on cabling, not commenting on the quality of Nordhost cabling, which I'm sure is excellent, just look at the sense, or not, of this particular measurement. Is this not a case of a manufacturer coming up with a cable characteristic that no one else is currently displaying to try and gain some sales advantage by quoting absolutely meaningless numbers?
    Will this become the latest 'anorak' statistic for cabling? :boring:

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Way over my head m8 :boring: :thumbsdow :suicide: