1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat speaker for rear duties in 6.1 query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ian J, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I was one of the lucky ones to buy the Sony 1070 at the Curry's special offer price and was wondering about taking advantage of the extra rear<br />speaker.

My problem is that the listening settee is pushed right up against the wall so cannot really have anything behind. I currently use a couple of Boston dipoles mounted high at the sides and was thinking about a single flat speaker mounted behind. Assuming that I could buy a single speaker, voicing would be different and I don't think that flat speakers are full range.

Anyone care to speculate on whether I would be wasting money ?

Thanks and regards

Ian

2. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have my sofa flat against the back wall.<br />I use mission bipoles (m7ds) i found this sounded much better than direct radiators (i used to have q15's on atacam se24's)Directly to the side.<br />For a center rear you could use the new mission m7 center. ITs quite flat and also wall mountable.<br />I dont think its good enough as a front center personal but might work for a venter rear.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I have tried this in experiments on the best place to space speakers.

Good rule of thumb, if space is a premium used bipoles or even better dipoles, not direct radiators.

Re flat at the back, they produce a whole different sort of 'non directional' sound. I know it isn't non directional but it is the best way I know how to describe it. I used some mission flat panels. They don't work well mixed with conventional speakers, though there sound has an apealing quality on their own.

I would ditch this idea, you are wasting money. The Boston dipoles are one of your best bets.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thanks for ideas. I have Boston dipoles high on side walls firing backwards but can I use a single dipole as centre rear as it would be firing left to right instead of forward ?

Regards

Ian

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Thanks Nic, perhaps I should spend the money on building an extension instead to house all these extra speakers.

Regards

Ian

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Ian

Single rears do not work well, you would need dual rears which means another pair of dipoles. I know 6.1 is only one extra channel but it needs 2 extra speakers to work well. This is why I think 6.1 is only a jumping step to proper 7.1. 5.1 and 7.1 are the future.