Question Flat Screen TV Reception Mystery!

oligopoly

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, Can anyone help me with an issue on my TV reception? We have a ~10 year old Panasonic Viera flat-screen in our bedroom. It has a cheapy aerial plugged into it and has worked absolutely fine for years picking up Freeview with no trouble. All of a sudden it just won’t pick up any channel whatsoever.

I've tried adjusting the aerial and moving its position, then rescanning many times over the last few days but it still says it can’t pick anything up. I've even tried resetting the TV to factory settings but still the same. I purchased a second aerial yesterday to rule this out as a possible cause but still the same.

I then took the TV downstairs into the lounge and it works fine on both aerials! So it seems to be an issue with the reception in the bedroom. I can’t think of anything which has changed in the last couple of days – certainly nothing which might be blocking the signal.

Can anyone help me solve this? Need TV in the morning for the little one ;)

When you mention a 'cheapy aerial' are you referring to an indoor one? Unless you live very close to a transmitter it is usually more by luck than judgement that you get a consistently good signal at all. Rescanning on the tv will only lose you the presets you originally had and aggravate the situation.

When you mention a 'cheapy aerial' are you referring to an indoor one? Unless you live very close to a transmitter it is usually more by luck than judgement that you get a consistently good signal at all. Rescanning on the tv will only lose you the presets you originally had and aggravate the situation.

Thanks for the reply - yes a cheapy £10 indoor aerial. But it hasn't been an issue over the last 3 years. Yes we would have to rescan every few months but loads of channels came up fine and were perfectly watchable until the aerial got moved or knocked etc. It just doesn't make sense...

Could be something outside that is blocking you signal, a new building, scaffolding etc. You just might have been getting freak reception from a reflected source. Indoor aerials are pretty unpredictable at the best of times. Have you checked what transmitter you are using? Perhaps it has changed in some way.

Could be something outside that is blocking you signal, a new building, scaffolding etc. You just might have been getting freak reception from a reflected source. Indoor aerials are pretty unpredictable at the best of times. Have you checked what transmitter you are using? Perhaps it has changed in some way.

Nothing obvious has changed outside the house and no reported problems on the transmitter. Very odd...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom