Flat Screen & Flat Tube?

K

Kizzy

I am looking to buy a new wide screen television and I am totally confused by the descriptions of "flat screen" and "flat tube" and the vast cost differences between the various models.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is the difference between "flat screen" and "flat tube" and can I have both! Also what is the best value for money for a 28" television?

Kizzy

I assume Flat Screen and Tube go together, but I am no expert. I would have thought if you have a flat screen and curved tube the picture would be distorted??

As for best value TV, I have JVC AV28T25 which I have had for several months now and for the price I paid (£450 from Empire Direct) have no complaints.

From reading these forums buying a widescreen TV is a bit like buying a used car, some are good, some are bad, but none are perfect.

I was nearly put off buying the JVC TV after reading these forums, but I am extremely happy with my purchase.

Flat screen and flat tube USUALLY mean the same thing and it's just different people using different terms. Means the screen is flat at the front.

However, some flat screens dont actually have a flat tube, e.g. Panasonic tubes are curved and then they stick a flat piece of glass on top of them. In this sense, the terms mean different things.

Thanks for the reply. The reason for the confusion, and the question, is that I have been looking at the JVC website and noticed that some widescreen TVs are described as "pure flat screen" and others are "flat tube"

An email to JVC customer services for clarification received the following reply which has simply added to the confusion!

"We wish to advise you that while JVC supply Pure Flat Screen televisions, these do not use flat picture tubes. The glass of the screen is thickened at the corners of the screen in order to present a flat image using a picture tube that is not flat behind a screen surface that is flat."

I am interested in the JVC AV28CT1 in black and this one is not described as pure flat screen but it has a flat tube! Any further advice and advice on this particular model would be appreciated.

Kizzy

JVC are simply saying they use the same process as Panasonic. It's not purely flat, it's just made to look flat.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom