Flat renovation - Home network advice

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Rocky1000, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Rocky1000

Rocky1000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm currently in the process in adding an extension to my flat turning it into 2 bedrooms and am seeking some advice on best approach regarding networking and media options. I work in IT (software) so have some knowledge about networking but am by no means an expert.

Here is the plan of the flat, just to mention that the kitchen will now be pushed back slightly and a cupboard will be formed to house the boiler and washing machine and this will be node 0 where I'm thinking to add some kind of media panel/enclosure, fit the router, smart switch and all other connections. All the flooring and wiring is being re-done along with plastering.

Floor plan_2.gif

I would like to have both bedrooms hardwired with Cat 6 and also 2 Ethernet points in the open plan area, one in the lounge and 1 in the Kitchen, I think this will provide some flexibility should I add a small TV on the kitchen side, and one in each of the bedrooms.

I currently have a SONOS system so would like to stick with that however I would like to add a ceiling speaker in the bathroom and and kitchen area. SONOS set up for the lounge currently consists of playbar, sub, 2 x Play1.

I wish to have a TV in both bedrooms and most likely add ceiling speakers in them also, (probably using SONOS connect amps), also a sky box in each.

I would really appreciate advice on the best approach for the cabling, conduits, media panels etc.. and also best option for HDMI cabling, the node 0 room will also house a Mac-mini with multi bay storage of some sort probably using PLEX for streaming.

Any advice much appreciated!!!

Thanks

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    3 x CAt6 (LZOH, SOlid Core not CCA) and a WF100 Coax (plus possibly shotgun if having Sky in the rooms) to each TV point
    VDC Blue 2.5MM Speaker Cable for ceiling Speakers

You may want to consider having SkyBoxes centrally located in Node0 with a HDMI over Cat6 matrix then you can watch any Sky box in any room in any combination

Gigabit Network Switch for distributing internet and Streaming from NAS drive

3. Rocky1000

Rocky1000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Can you suggest any reasonably priced HDMI Matrix solutions, I see some are quite expensive (£1k+) but I think its probably the best option as not having sky boxes saves space on the bedroom walls etc..., also I will be getting the new SQL Q boxes if that changes things at all.

Regarding best approach for cabling, is it ok to just use some form of conduit running it under the floors, also any suggestions for how to conceal things in the node 0 room, I've seen these media panels but not sure of they're available in UK or even if they are worth the hassle.

Inside the Structured Media Enclosure > Connected Home > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Thanks again!

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You really need a HDBaseT (HDMI over Single Cat6) standard matrix and the bad news is they are more like £2000 ours are £1499+VAT. The other bad news is the price is likely to rise in the next few weeks as the effect of the exchange rate decline hits as they are normally bought in $, the rises could be as much as 10%

HDBaseT and HDMI Matricies

You would normally have a rackmount cabinet for housing equipment in node 0, with Patch Panels, network switches. Matrix etc located in them

5. chrisfraser05

chrisfraser05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Have you thought about how you will be cooling your node 0?

Having it anywhere near the boiler is a massive no no. Without the effect of the boiler you'd need to consider cooling, including the effect of it you'll need some sort of active cooling such as an ac unit.

You'd be surprised how quickly equipment goes down with an extra few degrees.

6. Rocky1000

Rocky1000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris, yes this is something I have thought about and I do need to think of a solution, was thinking maybe having some air vents in the bottom and building a separate cupboard as far away from the boiler as possible but still need to plan this.

7. Rocky1000

Rocky1000
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I had a bit of a delay with extension work but have now re-started, builders are now putting in first fix wiring and sockets etc..., I need to let them know where to add the Ethernet cable and phone lines.

Assuming I go with having a HDbaseT unit (will purchase later) in a node zero cupboard along with a Mac mini with USB drives (instead of a NAS) and Sky Q boxe(s), could you please advise what cables I should run through. I have Sonos so not too bothered about audio for now.

I want a tv in both bedrooms and 2 in the open plan lounge, (1 being a small one for the kitchen area), I also assume I can only have one 4K signal in the lounge TV from the main Sky Q box, others will run from the Sky Q mini boxes.

So far I'm thinking I need 2 cat 6 cables in each bedroom and lounge/kitchen, but I'm not sure what I should do for the phone lines or controlling boxes with IR, also any suggestion for alarm cabling would be appreciated even though i don't know which one I'll be getting yet. I assume I don't really need any coax cables if going with hdbaset.

Many thanks in advance!!!