1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat pannel speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Me, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone had any experience of using the sort of NXT flat pannel(picture frame )speakers. Wharfdale produce a set with sub that can now be had for a very small sum. I was looking to use a set as a centre speaker, under a screen. Any experiences? or a waste of money?
    Thanks. Mark

2. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I posted a very similar question just recently...

The answer was, yes you can use the Wharfedale Loud Panels (or similar) for a centre, but...

1. The sound from these panels tends to be more dispersed, so doesn't 'tie' the sound in to the TV like it should. So more suitable for surround speakers...
    2. You can't use these speakers without the subwoofer that comes with it, since the sub box has the crossover built in.

I've also heard mixed reports of the sound quality. I think they do a resonable enough job, but aren't exactly the last word in hi-fi.

If like me, you need a flat centre speaker (in my case to keep the wife happy) have a look at the following site. I'm considering the Jamo Centre Art - I know a place where you can still get them for approx £120.
    http://www.flat-speaker.co.uk

Good luck!

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I use the Wharfedale Loudpanels from RS as rear surrounds and they are ok - about 3.5 out of 10. I only really notice they are gone when I change to stereo halfway through a movie, otherwise they just fade into the background a bit too much. The rear effects are too soft and muddy, but the sound doesn't diffuse like a good set of dipoles either. Why do I use 'em - well I'm married see and ........Anyway, I reckon they would be pretty pants as a centre - like BigAde says, the sound isn't direct enough for a centre speaker. Good value tho' if you want to buy, test and then dump if you don't like 'em.