1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat panels to beat my mission 773es

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cdb, Dec 28, 2003.

1. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Are there any flat panel speakers out there yet that can sound better than my mission 773es? I want to save some space in my living room so failing any decent flat panel speakers, would the KEF eggs (new ones) sound as good? They'd be mainly used for dvds, but music too.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,742
    The 773e's, whilst possessing that trademark "coloured" mission sound, are great speakers. They're poor at the lower end but midrange and the treble are pretty sweet: I cannot imagine ANY flat panel coming even CLOSE to the sound of the 773e's (or any other reasonable floorstander/standmount/bookshelf speaker).

No idea on the KEF eggs, again I would put my money on the Missions (that's if you like the mission sound in general), however I would add that this is speculation.

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fortunately, I've heard both the mentioned speakers, I have myself a 77 series Mission speaker setup and heard the MKII Kef Eggs with a Denon 3803 just two weeks ago.

And, as you'd expect, Smurfin's spot on. You have to remember that flat panel speakers are always going to have the philosophy of "Form Over Function", so the performance - whilst hardly bad - is always going to be secondary to the 'NXT' specification.

Speakers - like the 773e - are made to sound good and aesthetics are secondary. And this is true in this case.

The Kef Eggs - whilst very good indeed for their size - can't match the 773e's for sound 'quality'. But they're not supposed to. They're aimed to sound 'Good' and look 'Great'. So if you want to save space you are going to have to trade-off some performance panache.

That said, you'd hardly be disappointed with the Kefs, which I was certainately impressed by (won't be flogging my 775e's JUST yet though ;)).

4. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    looks like I need a bigger living room then, not smaller speakers.:eek:

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    also worth remembering that the 77 series needs to be set up 'right' and have space around the floorstanders to really sing. As a frustrated 774 owner I have tried all kinds of setups in all kinds of rooms and the only one that satisfied was the largest room in the house! I also took a pair of KHT sats home to tinker with, and I have to say they are actually very impressive as a stereo pair (with a cheap mission sub) very good imaging and placement - but very little midrange!

As for nxt, forget it! not yet nearly good enough to rival either aerogel or uni-q conventional drivers.

The KEF's are as Dimmy says very good, but not even Kef's R&D budget can alter the laws of physics!

6. Phil43

Phil43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  7. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 775e's haven't eaten up THAT much space in my listening room, I'm stuggling to see why the 773e's would...

They're 60cm from rear & side walls with about 2 metres between them, which gives an audio balance which is 'just right' :).

8. cdb

cdb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    That's my problem I have a small living room, (about 4x3m) my 773s are almost against the wall either side of my telly. The door just clears them when it opens and the walk way left in the room is about about 50cm all the way around a coffee table. They sound very good, but I'd be sursprised if they are performing at their best in these conditions. So I was considering a space saving replacement that would sound (hopefully) as good.

9. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2