Flat panel DIY speakers?

Discussion in 'DIY Speaker & Subwoofer Building' started by Smurfin, Jan 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,392
    Hi all

In my living room I currently have Artcoustic speakers; they are placed high on the wall compared to traditional speakers, and for obvious reasons aren't toe'd in, I also have a somewhat sizeable centre speaker which is sunk into a recess beneath the TV.

Ever since I heard some JBL 3677s I've realised that most domestic speakers don't deliver what I want. I've owned/used lots of kit over the years - lots of M&K, more Genelecs than you could justify, PMCs, XTZs, passives, actives etc...but none of them deliver effortless dynamics at loud volumes, and that distinct, direct punchiness - in short, the kind of presentation you experience at a very good cinema, and the type of presentation you get from a compression driver.

My question is, is it possible to DIY a flat(ish) panel speaker to give me what I want? We've just refurbished our living room (again), not quite finished but you get the idea of what I have to work with. The L&R speaker sizes could change, but they have to be in those positions; I want to mount speaker grills like the ones I have below (those ones are photos of my kids, just printed on speaker grill cloth).

[​IMG]

This is them with the grills off:

[​IMG]

My speakers right now are Artcoustic DF 75-55x2s, and the centre is the Arcoustic DFC 150-36 X2. I guess the biggest limiting factor will be depth (the artcoustics are just over 5" deep, and I think much deeper will be pushing it).

Any thoughts?

2. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,487
    You don't mention budget or subs which are two key factors. The other key point is position relative to your ears, the current ones look quite high up.

One source of that sort of dynamics is efficiency as that tends to remove thermal compression as an issue and also amp clipping. One way to deliver this in a shallow package would be an mtm with a beyma tpl150 in the middle perhaps with a pair of neo 8s around it in parallel to get the effiency up. However this is not a cheap option and is also going to be v tight vertically so won't work if you have to mount them higher up and/or are on a budget. They will probably look a bit weird with an angled baffle too.

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,392
    Not given much thought to costs, no more than £1500 total though.

Sub-wise, I run an Arendal Sub2 and have no plans to change.

A part of me is tempted to pick up a set of Behringer B212XLs, just to listen to a CD setup in my living room...front 3 will cost £300 which I could sell on easily enough.

4. mattkhan

mattkhan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,487
    that's much deeper though? I guess you mean just to have a listen to some CDs as opposed to a permanent fixture?

if you could allow a few more inches then these would likely be great - Small Syns - diyAudio - about 9" deep in the sealed version, it would be a fairly challenging build though.

I reckon the shallowest CD/WG you could get is the SEOS10 (3.3" deep) + a CD like the BMS4550 (~2") then add maybe 1.5" inches wood depth for about 7" total. I don't see how you could make it shallower so if that is too much then I don't see how a CD is going to fit in.

btw are you looking for a kit or you can/intend to roll your own?

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,392
    Thanks Matt, to be honest I'd be looking at a kit.

Re: the B212Xls, yes, I was thinking to just get them to listen to CDs in my room.

Sounds like the CD/WG option is no a go for me...I think 7" deep speakers just won't work on the walls.