Flat cat6 cable under hardwood flooring

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by steve500, May 21, 2019.

1. steve500

steve500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi, we are decorating the living room and at the moment we have cat 6 cables running from the modem around the skirting board under the carpet to out equipment. We are having hardwood flooring installed and I'm contemplating cat 6 flat cable to go underneath the flooring. Would this be advisable? I have took the skirting off in the room so I would normally have run the cable behind the new skirting. The issue I have is which ever direction I use for the cable around the room I have a doorway. This is why I am thinking about flat cable under the flooring. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,391
    How are you laying the floor.

I recently fitted a laminate floor in the hallway and used fibre board tiles underlay. This was thick enough to lay a normal round ethernet cable in a channel in the underlay. I'd prefer that as I'm not a fan of flat ethernet cables. Ethernet relies on the cable geometry (i.e. twisted pairs) so in my mind a flat cable must compromise that in some ways.

3. steve500

steve500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm using a roll type of under lament for my flooring so there is not enough space for a channel unfortunately.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,192
    The flat cable does not comprimise this in any way, The whole point of twisted pair is that the the two conductors carrying the signal one way is a twisted pair with the return. Basically the field of one signal going one way is cancelled in the return A long known basic fact from faradays laws of electromagnetic radiation (Basic O Level Physics). It matters not what the how the total number of twisted pairs are combined. is in a flat overall sheath or or a circular one or indeed any other configuration. Any pair of the twisted pairs is self contained irrespective of adjacent pairs. In fact there is an argument that seperating them horizontally in fact could reduce cross talk because a circular configuration squashes then into the smallest possible area so increase mutual interference to the maximum.

5. PaulDavidThomas

PaulDavidThomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've been lazy and not looked to see if you are on floorboards or a concrete flooring, irrelevant of you laying hardwood flooring.

If floorboards, pop a few up and run your cable under the floor. But then I do refurbs and this is no issue for me. Equally, you could run HDMI, speaker and even power ( spurs ) if needed.

This then means you do not need to worry about 'flat' cables. You could even employ a chippy to come and pop. the boards where needed. You'll need some cable rods :-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-set-13pcs/81513

Equally, some stiff 2.5mm cable might work....

So, might not solve the exact problem, but gives you another route...

6. Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    What about going into the crawl space underneath the house? You could run solid core CAT-6 (non-CCA) and terminate both ends with punchdown keystone jacks. I did that with my ethernet connection so I could hardwire the HTS (and satellite mesh WiFi router) upstairs. The router connects to a dual punchdown keystone jack with the cabling running underneath the house, up the inside walls and then to two different rooms, terminating with single punchdown keystone jacks. Signal is solid with no issues at all.

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,869
    This the UK, the vast majority of houses don't have crawl spaces or even cellers under the house. Solid concrete in the majority. Perfect solution though.:smashin:

8. Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My bad. Sorry about that.

After thought: Would it be possible to go up the inside wall, across the door jamb via the attic space, and then down the inside wall on the other side? Certainly a lot of work but it would make for a solid, issue-free cable run (no pressure on the cabling at all).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019