Flashing satellite picture

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Ayrton, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Watching Sky through our Pace satellite box via a cheap scart lead the picture flashes somewhat. What are the chances of a better scart lead fixing this, or is it going to be the box that needs fixing? I'd be hacked off to fork out £25 for a decent lead if it didn't fix the problem.

2. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless the scart lead has a faulty bad connection then I can't see it causing the picture to flash myself. Other people may disagree though. Its a fiddly job but try dissassembling the lead and check the pins.
    I use a cheap lead with my box and have no problems.

But the term 'flashing' is too general to really be of help. Flashing to black? Subtle image background flashing? If you mean seeing images superimposed on the main picture then yes a better lead may help as this is can be inferiour shielding at work I believe.

3. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When watching a regular picture it varies in seriousness but most clearly manifests itself in flickering skin tones. When you get a blue screen it flickers between two slightly different (but definitely distinct) shades of blue. Having examined the blue screen to try and see what is causing it I think there is some kind of pattern to the moving shapes flashing, which makes me think it is some sort of interference? Since the cheap cable is probably not insulated very well perhaps it is as you suggest - I think the probability is good enough for it to be worth investing in a better cable.

also I know the shorter cable the better, but how much difference does it make between say 1.5m and 0.75m scart cable?

4. Pod Person

Pod Person

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience there is not much difference. But cheap leads do vary in quality.
    I'm using 2 longer budget leads from Argos about 3-4 meters in length plus a couple of standard length budget leads.

It does sound like expensive leads may be your best bet though. Perhaps someone with these type of leads may be of better help in answering you question. If you get no more replies then try doing a forum search.

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    On BBC News 24, while watching Declan at the Stock Exchange,
    there is often a blue background.............

Sometimes, it gradually fades up and down, from light blue to dark blue.

Is this what you are seeing?:confused:

6. Ayrton

Ayrton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When you change channels on Sky using the up or down button you get a plain blue screen for a few seconds, with the panel at the bottom showing you whats on now and next.

On my tv this plain blue screen has shapes in it which are a fractionally different shade of blue. These shapes, and the rest of the screen, alternate colours every half second or so giving a flashing effect.

At its best there is a stripe down the middle of the screen. At its worst there are larger shapes covering as much as half the screen, they may or may not resemble something being broadcast on another channel I have not been able to pin it down.

I wouldn't be worried if it was just the blue screens that were affected, obviously! But the same thing is happening with regular tv pictures, its just not as apparent although extremely annoying.

It doesn't happen watching through RF, through the terrestrial aerial or watching DVDs so it must be . This suggests to me that I should be looking at getting another scart lead, although I realise there could be a problem with the scart socket on the satellite box. I was hoping someone here might have seen something like it before to help me narrow down the possibilities before I go buying stuff to try and fix it.

7. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds like errors in the D-A conversion, which prompts me to offer the standard advice:

Test your Digibox on a different TV with a different Scart lead.

I think it extremely unlikely that your Scart lead is the cause. More likely a faulty Digibox or faulty/incompatible TV set.

Borrow another Digibox and try it.

8. Andrew_arkless

Andrew_arkless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    A friend had a similar problem with a Sony TV a few years ago, I believe it was caused by the TV RF signal breaking through to a badly shielded scart socket. Try tuning a spare TV channel to display static (i.e. not tuned to any station), display this on the TV then switch to Sat to see if the problem is resolved.