1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flashing red LED *inside* AE100?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by richard plumb, Dec 30, 2002.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Hi

Got my system up and running but have a concern. When the projector is in standby, there is a little red LED inside the box that flashes slowly on and off. You can't see it from the outside, and the external standby LED is steady.

Is this the LED of death, or something normal? It also makes a slight buzz, like a monitor does. Hardly audible, but its right above my head and annoys me at night. Do I live with it for the sake of leaving the power on, or risk switching on and off at the mains each time?

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Richard

There's a deal of discussion to date about whether its best to leave the AE100 in standby all the time, or turn it off at the mains.

I don't leave mine in standby for extended periods - maybe an hour or so between movies/footie/whatever. When its cooled off, I turn it off and pull the plug - less chance of power spikes frying the blooming thing (which is what I blame for killing the lamp some time ago).

Sean G.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its funny you should mention it Richard cause I only noticed this Led yesterday after having my ae100 since April. Its the one you can see just behind the front grille isn't it.

I can't hear my PJ making any noise though and mine has been on standby for the last 9 months. Its only been plugged out twice in that time when I was rearranging av gear and cables.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Calibos,

Given the long run-time of your PJ, ( well over 2000 hrs on eco mode ), the standby status can't be hurting your machine....

Sean G.

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Doesn't look like it ritz m8:) The only problem I have with my PJ is that I do have some purple staining visible in certain conditions. I can see the full extent of it if I hold my hand a few inches in front of the lense when there appears to be a purple frame around the whole image. When I move my hand away and look at the screen most of this isn't visable. Its most concentrated on the bottom and right edges of the screen but then only on scenes with bleached colours. The opening of Black hawk down is good for demo'ing this. Probably nothing to do with standby though.

6. tomthx

tomthx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, Keith nice setup, almost exactly the same gear I have except for the receiver (check my www link for a simple web page).
    As far as the power issue for the Panny is concerned I always turn the power off on the projector after the fan has stopped. I don't turn it of at the mains unless I am going to be away for an extened period of time. About 100hrs of use so far.
    Just my 2 cents, later,
    Tom.