Flashing pixels issue over long HDMI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sticketystick, Sep 11, 2012.

1. sticketystick

sticketystick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I recently bought a 10m HDMI cable to hook my little revo minipc up to the TV and am getting what I'm assuming everyone is calling "sparkles" (flashing pixels across the picture whose color is determined by what the background picture is)

The cable is a v1.3b 10m cable which i thought would have no problem carrying the signal over that distance. I've tried different resolutions, different pixel settings (4;2;2; and 4;4;4) with no luck.

I don't think its an issue with the cable as when i plug it into my laptop to the tv it spits out 1080i just fine with no sparkling.

Similarly i've tried the revo box connected to the tv with a shorter hdmi cable and that has no problems either.

So I've got a feeling the revo must put out a weaker hdmi signal? is this possible? and what could i do to fix this. I don't really want to buy a 30 pound HMDI booster as it would be difficult to stowaway and it seems like I shouldnt need one over 10m.

Or am i on the wrong end of the stick and something else is causing the problem?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,469
    First to clarify - HDMI cables are not version compliant (v1.2, 1.3, 1.4 etc) - they are either Standard or High Speed.

High Speed cables top out at around 8m so your cable is at best certified as Standard (or not Certified).

Where you see sparkles you are seeing the combination of the driver circuitry in the Source, attenuation in the Cable and the recovery circutry in the Sink (Display) at work.

Try setting the problematic Source to 1080i and see what happens.

If you are still having problems you can try a heavier gauge HDMI cable or add an HDMI Extender (near to the Sink) to the long cable run - Media Factory - Octava HDE-UK, HDMI cable extender

Joe

3. sticketystick

sticketystick
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers but I've already tried 1080i and 720p with no luck :( When I change the source from my mini PC to my laptop this fixes the problem so it seems like its an issue with the mini PC, which is why I was wondering if the mini PC sends out a weaker HDMI signal that doesnt do so well over the 10m unlike the laptop. The sparkles are gone if I use a shorter cable with the mini pc.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,469
    A new heavier gauge cable is worth trying out - ensure you properly support the cable and minimise the stress on the port on your Mini-PC.

10m is a 'long' run for HDMI - especially with 'energy smart' devices (such as a PC) which are trying to minimise power usage!

Joe