Flashing macro-blocking discussion (UPDATE: LG's FW fix now available)

Actually worried by the amount of blokes here watching "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" ..:p

Actually worried by the amount of blokes here watching "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" ..:p
Nah, don't worry. It's good stuff. I couldn't find time for it (I am watching way too damn many series as it is) but watched the first two episodes with my sister (we are roughly 25-30 years old) and we both liked it. It's much better than the original. Although I have no idea if it gets boring quick or continues to surprise (and keep up the "strong medium" quality).
I am much more worried about the kids who grow up on this new Star Crap: The faminist PC romantic adventures of Michael Burnham, thinking they are watching Star Trek. :p (However I couldn't help myself and watched it myself, call it autism OCD...)

By the way, I am happy with the new firmware since I managed to re-calibrate. I had some issues (which turned out to be a small mistake I made in CalMAN's settings), so used the default LG factory calibration for a few days. It wasn't that bad (it looked better after I erased the old custom calibration). Although I prefer the AutoCal results (grayscale + matrix with an i2d3) even though I stopped trusting these sensors for OLEDs (both the i1Pro2 with it's limited wave length sampling capacity and the i1d3 with it's limited low-light accuracy/stability). The factory calibration has a little too much black-crushis look.

The only outstanding issue is to force HDR10 on Netflix (to eliminate DolbyVision because I can't calibrate the DV mode without a fancy overpriced signal generator). The Windows 10 application keeps crashing after 10-20 minutes of HDR playback. I guess it's about the Dolby Digital Plus passthrough. (I have to disable passtrough modes on the PC for MPC-HC as well, otherwise I have a memory leak in the OS, usually tied to Fifefox running in the background but I have to keep it running for reasons.)

Last edited:
I emailed LG UK to ask if there was a new (post 10.31) firmware imminent as I had booked a calibration.

They replied saying yes, but they didn't know when or what would be in it.

They also told me this about the calibration:

".... I have discussed this with my senior technical team and they have said that there is no point in getting your OLED calibrated as this would be them changing settings in the menus that you already have access to yourself. "

There you go then, straight from LG's tech geniuses... :laugh::rotfl::laugh:

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Netflix.

For what it's worth, on my calibrated C8 the Cinema preset is and always has been too dark for a lot of Dolby Vision content on Netflix. I watched some of this episode last night and don't think it looked as dark as the second photo, but I was hammered at the time so who knows?!

I adjusted brightness to 55, I can now see the background and even the outline of the collar bone on her shirt. I am currently on v.31

I emailed LG UK to ask if there was a new (post 10.31) firmware imminent as I had booked a calibration.

They replied saying yes, but they didn't know when or what would be in it.

They also told me this about the calibration:

".... I have discussed this with my senior technical team and they have said that there is no point in getting your OLED calibrated as this would be them changing settings in the menus that you already have access to yourself. "

There you go then, straight from LG's tech geniuses... :laugh::rotfl::laugh:

LG’s tech support is beyond a joke.

Will you be keeping yours at this or updating to the next software fix ?
I will sit on it for a bit pretty happy atm but will wait for feedback on next fw.

I wish LG would make a formal statement that indeed the required update is coming. Everybody is expecting it but other than a word from a not so trustworthy helpdesk there is nothing. I do not want to wait endlessly

I wish LG would make a formal statement that indeed the required update is coming. Everybody is expecting it but other than a word from a not so trustworthy helpdesk there is nothing. I do not want to wait endlessly

I would be surprised if they do that as these companies consider it negative publicity

The tech support are mostly L1 sitting on the front desk with a manual in front of them to do a copy paste response. Only when you make noise repeatedly, your ticket will go down to the next levels.

I rarely use it (madVRs is better). Only for crappy quality netflix/amazon content and sometimes games I put it to low or medium.

I rarely use it (madVRs is better). Only for crappy quality netflix/amazon content and sometimes games I put it to low or medium.

Yeah i prefer Madvr, but a lot of times i need to watch stuff in Plex or in a browser also,so then i can't use Madvr.

Last edited:
No gamma changes between 50 and 31 or 20?
all the same darker low end gamma.

The only difference I noticed between all those firmwares is like previously mentioned 'mpeg noise reduction' working again with 04.10.50. I assume this will be the next final.

...'mpeg noise reduction' working again with 04.10.50. I assume this will be the next final.
Hope we get some improvements at next fw, not just going back what was before they broke it.
Actually I´m so happy with .15 fw with my panel that there´s no need for any further updates.
If there really was evident better dithering with .31 then it would be nice to see at next final with straight gamma.
eARC would be nice but think that needs also hardware upgrading.
Subject, flashing macro-blocking, not bother me.

One all this drama with f/w is sorted, I am thinking of getting my C8 calibrated. I was meant to calibrate last year but couldn't as I was considering to upgrade to 77 from 65 or an OLED beating QLED this year which looks highly unlikely.

I assume that's a typo, as an OLED will always beat an LED-LCD, marketed as "QLED". (Unless "peak brightness" is the only thing you measure!)

I wish LG would make a formal statement that indeed the required update is coming. Everybody is expecting it but other than a word from a not so trustworthy helpdesk there is nothing.

as well as their helpdesk we have a much more reliable source:

Vincent Teoh said:
LG has been in touch to say they are assessing the impact of firmware 04.10.31 on 2018 Alpha 9 OLEDs. Please hold off taking any decision regarding re-calibrating the TVs.
Vincent Teoh on Twitter

Thanks for the info, I just updated.
What setting do you recommend in mpeg noise reduction? Medium?

I use Low to turn it on, and sometimes "Auto" for giggles.

I've been notified to update ever since The FW was released but it seems to have since been pulled down for Sweden? I no longer get prompted and it doesn't find any new update when I do a manual search.

Edit: I have The 2018 C8.

You will go back in some sort of waiting list for the FW update after you declined it. So they will offer it again in maybe 1 or 2 weeks. Thats what i've read here before.

So what about those of us for whom the 4.10.31 update did nothing to improve the flashing/macro blocking? Am I the only one?

I don't have the technical knowledge, but I have noticed a much flatter picture in dark scenes with the new update- which I think is what everyone is upset about.

I agree it's bad. But also, near black still looks awful, full of artifacts. Particularly on the right side of my TV which is brighter. So panel variance is of course a factor. But if the full picture is transitioning from darker-lighter/lighter-darker it's a mess. Candle-lit scenes are a mess. Any scene not in daylight or bright indoor lighting is a mess. The update seems to have killed the blacks but done nothing about the original problem.

But I see a lot of other people saying it did fix the original problem. Anyone with me?

@mavisgary:

Also my experience with 'calibrating' was limited to say the basics like brightness sharpness etc. Also for me it was a step to take to 'calibrate' further by adjusting the 20 point gamma for SDR and the 2 point gamma for HDR. Because of this ridiculous 04.10.31 update I now learned how to work with these settings better. It even resulted in a much better HDR picture than before because I can see much more detail in the near black area. if things turn sour even more you can always use the reset option.

That said I think it is not acceptable what LG engineers have done. OK, you can make a mistake no problem but at least tell the people that bought your product a new update is on the way. Now we are hoping for an update, not sure if it is gonna come and if it is coming we do not know when. I spent a huge amount of money on buying my 77C8. I contacted my dealer and they said first they have to contact the product manager who happens to be on holiday for 2 weeks. All this is not acceptable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom