Flashing macro-blocking discussion (UPDATE: LG's FW fix now available)

I'm on .30 currently with the LG W8. Should I upgrade to the latest version (.55) or stay on .30?

If you're on .31 - i.e. havent been drawn into to downgrading, then no reason not to go for .55 as it fixes some quite noticeable problems with .31 - not related to the flashing fix or resulting gamma changes though.

V .55 fixes ARC probs but if your receiver setup then doesnt play ball the remedy, as with most handshake HDMI probs, is to power down and HDMI unplug everything and then gradually bring the system up - i.e. add receiver to TV to confirm ARC then add devices one by one and so on.

i am running the .31 sw. I've got the distinct impression that every time I switch off immediately you hear the relais clicking and the standby led turns to red. Before the .31 I am almost sure every time before the standby modus kicked in first a short pixel refresh was done.
Anyone running the .31 sw noticed something similar?

Nope. Depending on what your interval is set to (default 4hrs, only changeable in the service menu) you won't get an auto-comp cycle unless the TV has been powered on for long enough. This hasn't changed since the launch of the TV.

Because it was mentioned here I switch off the 'quick start' option. When switching my tv on I do not see or experience much extra delay now.
Question: what does the tv do or not when this is switched on/off?

Can anyone answer the simple questions below please:
1. Has flashing macroblocking been fixed?
2. Does smooth graduation feature work again?
3. Which firmware is being rolled out in UK and does it fix the points above?

Thank you.

As far as I can understand fix was released for C8 only. B8 owners wait when LG have mercy and fix glitches/bugs

Can anyone answer the simple questions below please:
1. Has flashing macroblocking been fixed?
2. Does smooth graduation feature work again?
3. Which firmware is being rolled out in UK and does it fix the points above?

Thank you.
Macroblocking - in .55 they changed the use of the white subpixel which supposedly improves macroblocking - I don't see any difference on my TV vs firmware .20, and both .31 and .55 is now much darker at the lower IRE levels - which means you get black crush

Yes, smooth gradation is working now again in .55

Latest firmware is .55 (with someone mentioning another one possibly coming soon - but no confirmation). For me it is better to stay on .20 so I can actually make out near-dark scenes and smooth gradation also works - but that may just be my panel - others have noted that they are indeed seeing improvements in macroblocking with .55.

Personally I am staying on .20 until LG releases a firmware that doesn't kill the low end gamma, basically, I am waiting for .55 with a fixed gamma curve before I update again..

Macroblocking - in .55 they changed the use of the white subpixel which supposedly improves macroblocking - I don't see any difference on my TV vs firmware .20, and both .31 and .55 is now much darker at the lower IRE levels - which means you get black crush

Yes, smooth gradation is working now again in .55

Latest firmware is .55 (with someone mentioning another one possibly coming soon - but no confirmation). For me it is better to stay on .20 so I can actually make out near-dark scenes and smooth gradation also works - but that may just be my panel - others have noted that they are indeed seeing improvements in macroblocking with .55.

Personally I am staying on .20 until LG releases a firmware that doesn't kill the low end gamma, basically, I am waiting for .55 with a fixed gamma curve before I update again..

That’s bad news.

:) Further response below

Good Morning Carl,

We have now had a direct response from Head Office regarding the Gamma Correction; this was an unintended side effect of recent firmware updates and they are aware of it. A number of features including MPEG Noise Reduction and Gamma Correction have been effected and they are working on and testing new firmware as a whole and releasing updates when possible, they are working on the Gamma as we speak. This means it will just be a case of waiting until they have sorted out the kinks in the firmware update and are ready to release it. We sadly do not have an ETA on this.

I hope this helps and hopefully it isn't long now until everything is functioning as intended. Should you need any more assistance please contact us on 03448 475 454, or reply to this email directly.

Kind Regards,

Shauna

I’m just glad I’ve had verification, don’t mind when it arrives personally.

I think the fix will definitely come, and its just taking longer than expected because this time around LG need to make sure that it works as intended, so no skipping on the extended testing period!

Was watching Game of Thrones, and I definitely noticed the flashing macroblocking issue, which I didn't really notice before, or maybe I did notice it before, but not to the extent that I did on episode 3 of the latest season of GOT.

I think the fix will definitely come, and its just taking longer than expected because this time around LG need to make sure that it works as intended, so no skipping on the extended testing period!

Was watching Game of Thrones, and I definitely noticed the flashing macroblocking issue, which I didn't really notice before, or maybe I did notice it before, but not to the extent that I did on episode 3 of the latest season of GOT.

Why you still seeing flashing, was that not fixed already.

Hi guys, had my 65C8 since nov and its truly superb, absolutely loving it, but this morning (even tho firmware update is off) its automatically updated to .55, which obviously ive been knocking back since seeing there is an update.

Is there anything i can do to fix the so called Gamma problem, on all my sources or do i just have to wait on a fix.
Not had time to check it the screen yet.
Many Thanks.

Hi guys, had my 65C8 since nov and its truly superb, absolutely loving it, but this morning (even tho firmware update is off) its automatically updated to .55, which obviously ive been knocking back since seeing there is an update.

Is there anything i can do to fix the so called Gamma problem, on all my sources or do i just have to wait on a fix.
Many Thanks.
You can very easily manually downgrade back to .20 by downloading the .20 firmware to a USB stick and and downloading a free app called 'Smartify' and just access the firmware through an 'apps' button on the remote in the app. You just plug in the USB and navigate to the firmware page using the app and select the .20 firmware that will pop up and it will downgrae in a few seconds or so - I have done it this way and it works fine.

Many Thanks.

Increase 2-point low with rgb +10 for example, that's a good fix until the real fix comes.

C8_FW-Gamma.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom