Quantcast

Flashing macro-blocking discussion (UPDATE: LG's FW fix now available)

Bigbro00

Standard Member
Actually, the B8 has a different processor with different capabilities the Alpha7 instead of the Alpha9, it is not a simple "port", and that is why a different fix must be created from scratch separately for those models.

Eh? They've already said that they will do it. This is not in doubt.

Eh nice to hear. I have been following this these posting for about 9 weeks or so now but nowhere I saw any confirmation that it will be offered officially. There are a few statements from the LG servicedesk but you probably know as well as I do that statements from them are very untrustworthy. Can you please tell me where LG really has stated that the update will come.

mrtickleuk

Unless the fix resides in the firmware of the display panel itself.
LG said, relayed via Archer, that the B8 work-around will take longer because it has to be written differently because the processor is different.

This has been discussed ad nauseam on this thread. It's very old news.

I don't know but I guess
Quite. Please see above. :)

Last edited:

mrtickleuk

@Bigbro00, you've typed INSIDE my quote, making it incredibly difficult to quote your post. :mad:

You won't get an LG press release if that's the level of proof you want, put it that way! You'll never get that. No company would do that. Forget that. :)

It's from the respected journalist with contacts, John Archer. He together with Vincent Teoh have been instrumental in getting LG to tackle this problem in the first place. He reported what LG's engineers told him. Both he and Vincent have direct contacts.

@TremendousTea posted John Archer's article 3 months ago. Page 24 of this thread. I said this was old news - it's actually three months old.
Flashing macro-blocking discussion (UPDATE: LG's FW fix now available)

HTH

Zigourney

Actually, the B8 has a different processor with different capabilities the Alpha7 instead of the Alpha9, it is not a simple "port", and that is why a different fix must be created from scratch separately for those models.

Eh? They've already said that they will do it. This is not in doubt.

No idea, that's a daily FAQ :) Also no-one knows the differences between beta firmware 5.10.00 and beta firmware 5.20.00, both have the good gamma curve and the new dithering algorithms as discussed endlessly above, and both will leave you up the creek without a paddle and unable to go back to any firmware 4.x version released publicly, so it's not wise to install them.

By the way you keep saying "macroblocking", but remember that this thread is misnamed, the fault in question isn't macro-blocking which is very common; it is near-black chrominance overshoot which causes each pixel to flash when turning on from full black to near-black.

Macro-blocking happens on all content on all displays when the bit-rate is too low, and that's always the broadcaster's fault.
Yes I meant the epileptic fit inducing flashing thingy macroblocking near-black chrominance overshoot issue...quite a mouthful that

Im still on .20 so will continue to wait patiently...

grogi

Conceptually they are very similar, they might just have different number of compute units - which changes how much processing can be done for each frame. It's not that a new instruction set was invented for α9.

Anyway, I could exchange my 55" B8 for a C8 for ~€500 extra (I got a super-deal for the B8)... Do you think it is worth it?

Last edited:

mrtickleuk

Conceptually they are very similar, they might just have different number of compute units - which changes how much processing can be done for each frame. It's not that a new instruction set was invented for α9.
Sounds like you know all about the inner workings of the architecture of both TVs! LG were clearly wrong when they said that they will have to develop it separately. ;)

Anyway, I could exchange my 55" B8 for a C8 for ~€500 extra (I got a super-deal for the B8)... Do you think it is worth it?
Me personally? Yes since the Alpha9 has 33x33x33 LUTs (compared with the 17x17x17 of the Alpha7, giving improved picture quality), and the anti-banding processing (only possible with the Alpha9). But I'm only one person, and you'll still have the panel lottery with any replacement.

janos666

Sounds like you know all about the inner workings of the architecture of both TVs! LG were clearly wrong when they said that they will have to develop it separately. ;)
Yes, please continue blindly believing any and all indirect non-official statements from every companies ever (made through any and all sources you personally consider reputable) and even actively arguing against any and all forms of "educated guess" on the topic from all other sources. Good luck!

chros

I could exchange my 55" B8 for a C8 for ~€500 extra (I got a super-deal for the B8)... Do you think it is worth it?
I wouldn't, but for a 65B8 :)

wwwwww

Novice Member
By the way you keep saying "macroblocking", but remember that this thread is misnamed, the fault in question isn't macro-blocking which is very common; it is near-black chrominance overshoot which causes each pixel to flash when turning on from full black to near-black.
Ok so after days of trying every possible thing to fix this on my B8, the ONLY setting which has a dramatic effect on helping with this issue is:
  • TruMotion - User: Motion Pro ON
Doesn't completely fix the issue, but it is improved a lot. Negative side effect of "motion pro" (aka black frame insertion) is screen flicker, very noticeable on bright scenes... but personally something I could live with, as opposed to near-black chrominance overshoot issue which is absolutely horrible.

Last edited:

mrtickleuk

Yes, please continue blindly believing any and all indirect non-official statements from every companies ever (made through any and all sources you personally consider reputable) and even actively arguing against any and all forms of "educated guess" on the topic from all other sources. Good luck!
Strawman, that is not at all what I said and you know it.

chros

Unless the fix resides in the firmware of the display panel itself.
I don't know but I guess the Alpha processor sends RGB to the panel and the WRGB "magic" happens in a different controller. I tend to assume this because LG sells these display panels to several other TV manufacturers and many claim to put their usual (often pre-existing) processors (like "X1 Ultimate" from Sony, etc) into their OLED TV. Somehow I doubt all these manufacturers had their processor designs ready for 4-channel WRGB LVDS output or were happy to modify the silicon in order to support the LG OLED panels. And this fix seems to be a part of that "WRGB magic" (less W and more RGB for dark shades + more/different dithering).
In this case, only the display panel version (practically the year of manufacturing) matters (and even third-party manufacturers could theoretically apply the LG display panel firmware to their TVs).
You can even check the display panel firmware version in the IN-START menu, although I forgot to make a photo between main firmware updates.
I like this theory. Which entry is the panel firmware version? (We can check on ours and ask others who have the latest firmware.)

Bigbro00

Standard Member
Several times we had discussions within this thread about whether or not LG is going to release new FW to tackle the horrible 04.10.31 FW. There was no doubt amongst some of our enthousiasts here. Yes it is coming. It is a sure thing it was said. When I asked ' how do you know has there been a statement or something' the only reference made was to a remark from I think Paul Archer and Vincent Teoh. Though I am a fan of Vincents' also from his side nothing new is heard. Every day I check multiple threads in 3 different languages. The bottom line however is that LG STILL has not come up with an official OTA FW e.g. the 05.20.00. Actually I find it to be a very very bad policy. My 77c8 is ruined after the 04.10.31. Please know that this post is not to prove that I am right no I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Question: are you fellow enthousiast still convinced the update is going to come?

grogi

There's now a 5.20.00 as well. We're hoping that it will finish testing and be released soon for those models. We don't know what version number it will be.
Whenever a new FW arrives, don't update immediately but wait for other users' reports.

LG has recently removed the downgrade possibility with the SURE app (from Откат и восстановление предыдущих версий прошивок : Телевизоры LG - Прошивки) - so unless it's a keeper, don't update - you won't be able to go back.

j82k

Just checked for updates and 05.10.02 popped up. I was still on 05.10.00 even though 05.20.00 was already available.

This version numbering is really strange. Anyone who is on 05.20.00 wanna check if they get an update?

LC-C8_05.10.02.jpg

j82k

Still only via engineering nsu mode. No idea what changed from 05.10.00 to 05.10.02, I couldn't find any difference yet.
The webos version changed from 4.1.0-5617 to 4.1.3-5619 though.

Made73

Just checked for updates and 05.10.02 popped up. I was still on 05.10.00 even though 05.20.00 was already available.

This version numbering is really strange. Anyone who is on 05.20.00 wanna check if they get an update?
Good news, developing continues :lesson:
Hope they have something also for public release soon. I can understand frustrating for those who have spend big moneys and black is crushed and they can´t do anything for it (like go back or calibrate).
I´m still with 05.10.00 and happy with it :)

Chamberlain

So those that have the gamma fix in engineering, can you confirm it's good? I dont notice the black crush in SDR much but HDR looks way darker when i updated to the firmware that fixed the macroblocking issue. So if HDR goes back to how it looked before that update it would be very nice.

stevealexR1

Standard Member
English owner of 55C8 here; I am so worried about moving on from 04.10.55 in case the Quad Step Noise Reduction (accessed via MPEG Noise Reduction menus) is disabled again as it was by 04.10.31. Easily the worst problem of LG OLED TVs is the terrible colour banding and poor gradation produced on poor quality sources. Can anyone reassure me that all new updates since 04.10.55 still has QSNR functional?

Last edited:

RudiSt

English owner of 55C8 here; I am so worried about moving on from 04.10.55 in case the Quad Step Noise Reduction (accessed via MPEG Noise Reduction menus) is disabled again as it was by 04.10.31. Easily the worst problem of LG OLED TVs is the terrible colour banding and poor gradation produced on poor quality sources. Can anyone reassure me that all new updates since 04.10.55 still has QSNR functional?
Quad step noise reduction works in .55 - it was the only thing fixed from .31... incorrect gamma though

stevealexR1

Standard Member
Quad step noise reduction works in .55 - it was the only thing fixed from .31... incorrect gamma though
Thanks - I was aware QSNR works in .55 as that’s the firmware I installed after the disastrous .31 (in which it didn’t work). I am nervous of moving on past .55 in case QSNR stops working again...

RudiSt

Thanks - I was aware QSNR works in .55 as that’s the firmware I installed after the disastrous .31 (in which it didn’t work). I am nervous of moving on past .55 in case QSNR stops working again...
.55 is still the latest official one - so to get the test ones you need to be in engineering mode. The quad step decontouring works in the later ones in engineering mode, in case this was what you were wondering. I’m on 05.20.00 and it works- but there is a new test release out today that I haven’t checked yet... so can’t speak to that one...

AndyThorn

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out - without the comfort blanket of Sure it becomes a much trickier proposition.....