1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flashing light on my new receiver (SR4200)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RL123, Jan 3, 2003.

1. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Maybe it's nothing but I'm very cautious when I spot something happen that I've not noticed before.

Last night (about 1am) I turned on my N64 for a quick game of Mario and turned my amp down quite low cos of my parents asleep in the next room. Every few seconds a red light would flash next to 'PEAK' on the display on my receiver. It was flashing in co-ordination with the beat of the music which baffled me further.

I tried using regular stereo, pro logic 1/2 and various effects (hall/matrix/game etc) and it still happened.

a, does anyone know the cause of this
    b, is it serious?

Thanks

2. cskates

cskates
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suspect it's indicating that the analogue input is getting a signal which is too high. You may be able to reduce the sensitivity of the inputs in the receiver's setup. If there's no sensitivity adjustment you may be able to reduce the volume in the game, and increase the volume on the receiver to compensate.

3. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I get this sometimes too (although with different sources). From the little information I can gather from the manual (point 13 on Page 7) cskates is right and the Attenuater function should be used when this happens.

4. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thanks. I had adjusted the LFE settings yesterday afternoon - could this be the reason?

If it's not then I don't know what has caused it. If the analogue frequency is too high, is this serious? Will it damage any hardware?

5. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I turned down the volume in the game options menu but the peak light is still flashing.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The signal strength you are sending the receiver is too high. There should be a ATN button (the stop button on mine) on your remote. Press it and the receiver will lower the signal strength and the light will stop coming on.

It should tell you about this in your manual.

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There was an 'ATT' button - I pressed it and the light has stopped flashing. Problem solved now then, I must have knocked it accidentally and switched it off.

Thanks for helping everyone :)