Flashing 'HDMI' on panasonic DVD

chaplic

Standard Member
Hi All

I have just setup a Panasonic dvd recorded, dmr-ex75 to work with a sony telly, Bravia KDL-32U2000. I have it connected soley over HDMI. It's working a treat apart from one problem.

When I turn the telly on, I can't get a picture out of the DVD for a couple of minutes. The dvd display flashes 'HDMI' for a minute or two, then I get a picture. I've tried manually pinning the resolution to 720p, etc rather than auto and fiddling with (technical term) other settings but no ball.

It has occurred to me I read the HDMI does key exchange and all that wonderfulstuff, could this be the cause of the two minute delay? Seems a bit poor in this modern instant on world...? Or am I missing something somewhere? What are next weeks lottery numbers?

(answers of two out of these three questions appreciated!)

Colin

andypandy

well, I have the ex85, but no hdmi display device so cannot check for you. But if someone knows 'for a fact' it should only take seconds then surely your player is faulty ? tried directing your question to Panasonic ?

chaplic

Standard Member
I itend to speak to the manufacturers (anyone taking bets that sony will blame panasonic and vice versa?) but I thought I'd gen up a little first, always best to 'negotiate' from a position of knowledge.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello chaplic

Are you putting both the DVD-R and Display into Standby at the end of each viewing session?

Have you tried powering OFF both items - not just into standby; how long does it take for them to negotiate from cold?

Assuming both are in Standby in between each viewing session have you tried varying which item is powered up first from standby.

Best regards

Joe

mannyo

The HDMI flashes on my Pioneer player if I dont select the HDMI input of my TV before turning on the player. Have you tried selecting the HDMI input before turning on the player.

chaplic

Standard Member
In answer to Mannyo and Joe

I think (I cannot conclusively test at the mo because the kit is at my parents house) the devices are "happy" if the dvd isn't powered up before the TV, i.e. turn the TV on, then turn the DVD on. However, that doesn't seem too clever to me, and definelty a step backwards in funcitonality

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello chaplic

Its all to do with how the different hardware manufactures are implementing HDCP.

HDCP is not mandatory in the HDMI specification and the manufactures can implement it how they please.

There are quite a few combinations where things work fine if you follow one 'start up' routine but not another - apportioning blame is tricky as it could be the Source or the Display causing the HDCP negotiation problem.

Joe