Flashing drive firmware with W2K questions

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mr.D, May 3, 2002.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    First things first , I'm pretty familiar with unix but I haven't used dos for years and even then it was just for moving files about : I know the two are similar but there are some differences like back slashes for example anyway...

I'll need to either flash the firmware on my dvd drive or run a utility on it either way this has to be done in dos.

Problem : I use W2K which does have a dos shell option but its not really dos and as such all indications say that you should never flash firmware using the shell (either it won't work or it will knacker the drive).
    Of course W2K being a modern OS does not offer the facility to create a dos boot disk ( excuse my terminology if it sucks). I don't have any other OS knocking about that will let me create a dos disk but I can get one off my mates.

So I assume that I change my bios settings to boot from floppy first with the dos disc in. Then in dos I run the flash utility which as my HD is larger than dos can handle will also have to be on another floppy?
    ( I assume I type something like run a:utilityname.exe ??)

Then reboot back into W2K to check the drive region status in a suitable checking utility???

Am I anywhere near the mark guys cause this is all guesswork ?

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can make a DOS boot disk from win98 or win XP, (remember your win98 boot disk won't see NTFS partitions.)

Assuming you can get a boot disk ..

I always combine the firmware files (the bin, and the executable) onto the floppy with the DOS starup files.

Change the boot up to your floppy drive in the BIOS.

Run the executable with the firmware bin from the floppy.

You shouldn't have to use the harddrive (I am assuming that the BIN and executable is small enough to fit on the floppy).

Thats should be it.

On a different topic Mr D. have you any experiience yet in Postproduction with HDcam - only ask because we were looking into the "cost-effective" final cut/pinnacle cinewave solution.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Thanks for the info. My mate is giving me a bootable dos CD leaving the floppy free for the additional files which is nice.

Not used HDcam footage but I have worked with 35mm material scanned to HD (1080p) and I found it a bit disappointing really. Scanned on a sprit datacine and this was uncompressed material. It looked like big video ie. more resolution but limited intensity range ( little bit crushed and clipped in the blacks and whites ie just like SD video relative to film). Visible edge enhancement artifacts by virtue of the spirit ( its designed in).

However with regard to shooting on HDcam I'd probably opt for that rather than 16mm if 35mm is no go. 16mm always ends up being more hassle than its worth especially if you intend to end back up with a married 35mm print. IMHO

If you intend to end up back on film or want it to look more like film shoot in 24p ( will also simplify VFX work) and be very careful about the latitude ( don't clip the whites or crush the blacks needlessly otherwise it will look just like video) Bear in mind you won't be able to tweak it as much grade wise in post as you can with film.

If you are really skint think about shooting on an SD format like betasp or even DV . The canon XL1 has a 25p mode ( its a fudge but its a good fudge). Done right this can look surprisingly good when transfered correctly to 35mm ( keep an eye out for Danny Boyle's latest).

I find it hard not to think of HD as just normal video with more pixels. If you shoot it badly it won't look much better. ( don't let the DP totally bully the format choice as they will if you give them half the chance just to try something new at someone elses expense)

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks, for that.

Got to say the HD i've seen comes in line with your POV.

We own BETA kit, but feel we can make a transistion HD on the basis of hire.

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Keith,

You will find every type of bootdisk you could ever want here

The files you download simply write to a floppy when run, creating the bootdisk,

You just need a simple DrDos or dos 6.22 etc for DVD drive, motherboard bios etc flashing.

Good luck,

Mark.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Thats great Mark thanks a lot.

7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some help needed guys.........

My laptop is stuck in R2, it is a RPC2 drive. I've tried to educate myself to flash the drive, even got the 2002_XO29 file, but that is where it stopped.

Is there an idiots guide to flash my pioneer dvd/cdr combi?

This DOS talk lost me.

Regards

Nathan

:confused:

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,229
    Well here's the gist : and I'm not speaking from experience here so be careful.

To flash the firmware on the drive itself you have to do it from dos ( in every instance I've seen). This involves booting your machine from a floppy with dos on it rather than boot from the hardrive where your normal operating sytem is. Unfortunately when you boot into dos via the floppy its unlikely you will be able to access your HD as its probably too large for dos to handle so you have to ensure you dump the required flashing utility and or firmware files off to the dos floppy before you boot into it.

Once in you run the relevant executable ( the flashing utility or other: normally comes with some helpful info or instructions).

To boot from a dos floppy you need to go into your motherboard bios ( by pressing the appropriate key during the post sequence ( when you initially switch on the computer) before it loads up the operating system from the HD. Once in the bios you locate the boot location option or similar which will most likely be set to check a hard drive first: you change this so that it will look at the floppy drive first .

Come out from the bios reset with the relevant dos disc with flash necessaries on it and it should pop you in to do to do the business. After you're done reset the bugger and jump into the bios again to undo what you did and allow the machine to boot from the HD (some bright sparks even have the bios set to check the floppy first then the HD for a boot "block" I think ?? but you might find this slows down the boot up time for your machine a bit.)

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look here for some good info.

Cheers

Laurel