Flashing a DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dooz, Jan 25, 2005.

1. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

I have a somewhat odd question about DVD players. As I understand it you can update a DVD players firmware by burning the new firmware image on to a CD and turning the player on with the CD in the drive (eg booting it).

So my questions:

Do all DVD players use this method?
    Does the DVD player check that the given firmware is compatible, and does it perform a checksum, before updating it?
    What would be the result of flashing another models firmware into a DVD player? I assume it would probably cause a fairly terminal failure.

Many thanks.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    Not all DVD players can accept a firmware upgrade. Putting an incompatible or different model firmware will make the unit dead.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's rare IMX to find any device which protects itself against being flashed by the wrong firmware, be it a DVD player, a PC BIOS etc. .. it pays to be very careful. ;)

4. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent.

I have flashed a few bits of computer hardware that checksum the file before flashing and one that actually checked to make sure the firmware was for the right model. I am glad to hear that most players wont check though. Should may my task much easier <insert evil grin smiley here>.

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    I have a Encore DV450. Some peoiple may remember it from a few years ago. It is a clone of a Sampo make. Thsi players accepts firmware upgrades and at the moment it has a Sampo 613CF firmware inside it. The reason why it works is the electronic chips indside both models are the same.

I also have a Cyberhome 400 and a new firmware has come out for it. However. if I used it on the model I have. It will screw the player up totally. This is because the firmware has changed slightly over the last year or so. I have the orginal one and this upgrade changes the newer firmware.

6. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As bizarre as it may sound I actually want to wreck a DVD player as I have finally reached the end of my tether.

The problem I am having is with the Royal Theft. Oops I mean Royal Mail. In the last 6 months I have ordered DVD's online 7 times. On 6 occasions the DVD's haven't turned up! (Yes they were ordered from multiple companies, one of which has now blacklisted our address). The DVDs only turned up on the 7th because we got the company to send it recorded delivery. I have repeatedly reported it to the RM but they just don't seem to care - any one else had that experience? I had another package stolen last week (not DVD's this time) so I am going to be somewhat more proactive.

My intention is to get a DVD case, stick a big name film cover in it so that it looks like a real film and include a cd with a new, probably damaged, firmware on it. I will then post it to myself and wait for it to go missing :eek:).

If you have any ideas for ways to improve this plan I am open to suggestions. Of course you may want to try an disuade me but in that case I ask you - what else can I do?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Sorry to buck the trend but.....

I have just upgraded the software & firmware on my Arcam DVD player. The image that I burnt to CD contained about 4 different firmware version and at least 2 different software versions for different players in the Arcam range. My player automatically installed the correct versions that it needed.

Mark.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, but that's an Arcam, one would expect high quality software from them. ;)

9. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. dooz

dooz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's one option I hadn't considered. It looks like copy protected CD's might be useful for something more than coffee mats after all.