1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flashgun for 300D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, May 31, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    A friend of mine has been using a canon 35mm film camera for some time and I have convinced him that the time is right to go for a canon dSLR. He'll be buying a second hand 300D. He has a couple of EF lenses which will do fine. He also has a flashgun, he thinks it's the 300 EZ. He says he's seen someone else use the same flashgun with a dSLR. Is it compatible with the 300D or should I convince him to buy something like the 420 EX?

2. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Any flashgun ending in EZ is NOT compatible with any of the Canon EOS DSLR's. It's doubtful that it will do the camera any harm as the voltages are the same but you WONT get ETTL or even TTL metering with EZ flash guns and the 300D. The flash will fire but you will have to manually set the settings on the flash and take a light reading with an external light meter to work out the correct exposure.

So basically, yes you should convince your friend to buy something like the 420EX or any other flash that ends in EX. Check out the Sigma range, these offer virtually all the features of their Canon counter parts but at a fraction of the cost. I have the Sigma 500 Super DG which does everything that the Canon 550 EX does yet costs £160 compared to the Canon's £250

HTH

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks. It turns out his flashgun is a 380EX so there's no need to change it. This also explains why his mate was able to use it with a dSLR.