Flashgun advice

Wingsurfer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Spending a gift voucher & some Xmas money, I want to buy a flash gun. Main use will be indoors, bouncing flash off ceiling/walls to take pics of my partners grandson. Based on this I understand that I need something with swivel& tilt facility. It needs to have ttl metering too as I am a novice.

I need to shop in camera centre due to the gift voucher & I've come across this:
Sigma EF-610 DG ST Flashgun - Canon Fit

I've had a look at a review but as I know nothing about flashguns it wasn't all that helpful to me. The price on this is good for me but I could go a little higher, up to a maximum of about £120. What do you guys think?

I've owned the Sigma flash that you mention and found it to be excellent. You are spoilt for choice if you want non Canon flash these days, excellent ones from Yongnuo and Meike for very little money. As you are tied to the voucher, the Sigma is probably the best bet.

I've owned the Sigma flash that you mention and found it to be excellent. You are spoilt for choice if you want non Canon flash these days, excellent ones from Yongnuo and Meike for very little money. As you are tied to the voucher, the Sigma is probably the best bet.

Great, thank you buddy. I'll get it ordered later.

Don't think that one has a remote slave function does it ? - might want to look for one with that facility as it makes it easy to use off-camera....

Don't think that one has a remote slave function does it ? - might want to look for one with that facility as it makes it easy to use off-camera....

Is that the function that fires the flash at the same time as the built in on board one?
I thought that's the function of the large sensor at the front of it? If not, what's the purpose of that sensor?
Some time ago someone mentioned a ttl cable to me (can't remember why it came up now) could I use one of those if I need to use it off camera?

The red area on the front is an infra red facility which kicks in when dark, it reads the distance to subject and sets the flash accordingly. As far as I remember, the Sigma does not have a slave facility but you could use a cheap evil bay light sensor to attach to the bottom of the flash that picks up the on board flash then triggers the new flash, they are about £10 as I remember. You lose TTL too.

The red area on the front is an infra red facility which kicks in when dark, it reads the distance to subject and sets the flash accordingly. As far as I remember, the Sigma does not have a slave facility but you could use a cheap evil bay light sensor to attach to the bottom of the flash that picks up the on board flash then triggers the new flash, they are about £10 as I remember. You lose TTL too.

Thanks mate. Would a ttl cable do the job?

Yes a proper TTL cable should do the job, you may want to look up "Shutter Dragging" on Google as it gives a pleasing effect rather than harsh flash. The Sigma I had was great for this technique, I only sold it as I moved to the dark side (Nikon)

cables will of course work but can be quite restrictive - a proper flash with slave mode is much more flexible and can of course be used with multiple flashes for more creative lighting effects....

Just walked away from the shop with the Metz 52 :)

Thanks for the help and advice guys

Definitely a better choice - get the most powerful you can afford :)

The guy in the shop threw in a mini tripod stand to use with it too. It's these small gestures like that which make me really like that shop. Every time I've bought a lens from there they've attached uv filters for nothing too.

just tried to have a look at the one you bought and the shop has exceeded their bandwidth :( they need to get a proper website or they will lose custom.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom