Flashback

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sam Crow, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,637
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqRav_FtHI]Flashback -- Story Trailer [EUROPE] - YouTube[/ame]

2. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    'The original Flashback was before my time'...

Proof I am getting old. :(

'The remake will add some new features such as a skill system, character customization, and 360-degree aiming.'

Hmm...

'For fans who’d rather not change a thing, the original twenty-one-year-old version will come bundled with the remake.
    '

That's a confirmed sale for me. :D I had the original on the Snes and absolutely loved it. So did my dad! :D

I also played a bit of the sequel on PC. Wasn't too fussed though.

'To Ubisoft’s credit, though, it’s been trying to keep the changes to a minimum.'

That sounds promising. We'll see though.

3. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,070
    that game came out when I was born :eek:

4. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    Ah, so you are just a pup then. ;)

5. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    SNES!!!! Tsk the shame :D.. Amiga version beat it hands down, the soundtrack on the Amiga was fantastic.

I had the PC remastered edition at one point as well, the new cutscenes didn't add much, but it was cool to play through again.

I'm not too sure about the remake yet, for me it doesnt need new features, the original is still one of my top games of all time. Still, worth a purchase for me :thumbsup:

6. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Yup. Amiga version here too. I'm getting all misty eyed now. Those were the days........

7. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    Well, my dad and I enjoyed it all the same. :p

I loved my Snes. ;)

I never even knew it came out on the Amiga, or that there was a remastered PC edition. :blush:

I was a console only gamer back in the day. :D

I agree whole heartedly. :smashin:

Me too. Providing the original included with the remake is the Snes version. :D

8. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    It came out first on the Amiga 500+ and was then later ported to the consoles with a couple of extra cut scenes iirc, but the soundtrack was downgraded to a midi soundtrack from the full orchestral score.

The remastered edition was made for the CDI and then put onto the PC, I bet its worth a few quid now... Im sure I chucked mine out. :facepalm:

9. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    Aw nuts. I do enjoy a good orchestral score. Those were rare back in the old days. I'm sorry I missed that version. :(

Did the remastered PC version have the orchestral score intact?

10. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Lol theres always youtube :). The pc version was on cd rom so you had a cd quality soundtrack

11. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
  12. DeanE

DeanE
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,689
    The game Delphine did before Flashback, now that was a classic. Although I doubt the fetus doing this write up would have ever heard of 'Another World'. Here is a hi-res version of the original Amiga intro from 1990, I'm sure a few of you will remember playing this..

Another World Hi-Res Intro

13. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    Yes, it's in these kind of circumstances when YouTube becomes invaluable. :D Thanks very much for the links. :smashin: The theme tune from the CD OST is amazing! A million times better than the one I, and my fellow Snes owners, got stuck with.

Aww sweet. It must have been epic. :D I'll be making a point of seeking it out and listening to it. :smashin:

Say mozza, on a different video I watched on YouTube, which compares the Amiga and Megadrive versions of Flashback, a chap posted the following in the comments:-

Actually the amiga version is the Port. Yes really! The amiga version was released before the megadrive one but it is actually a port of the original megadrive game. The makers of the game cite the megadrive version as the original and best.

Wikipedia says the same as the above.

What do you make of it?

You are quite right. Another World was seminal! Another one of my all time favourites next to Flashback. The two practically go hand in hand and hold high places on my gaming awesome scale. :D

I played Another World on my Snes too. :p

When I first saw this intro back in the day, I was absolutely blown away by it. I remember thinking at the time, how realistic. How can graphics get any better than this? :laugh:

I certainly do. Those cut scenes. The infuriating trial and error gameplay. The elation at solving the puzzles and making progress. Oh the memories.

I loved the theme tune and the ending music to this game so much, I taped them on to a cassette and listened to them over and over again on my walkman. :D I did this with a lot of game music I liked and I've still got that cassette tape to this day. :smashin:

14. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985
    totally agree... it seems they have done more with htis than the new chaos engine rerelease. i will keep a close eye on this.

This and another world were excellent. the 3rd game from them was ok too but it changed style somewhat.

ditto, i did exactly the same. other classic themes, turrican 2, xenon 2, jumping jackson, ghouls and ghosts, X-out, ... the list goees on and on and on.

nowadays generally games just use "real" music..... which just isnt as good.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  15. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,266
    Would you be as kind to add a link to the source of this quote please?

Reason being, that Google will often penalise sites that copy and paste data without a link back to the source. The penalty is often demoted rankings etc...

Cheers.

16. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Thats quite surprising considering that the Amiga version is better in every way.. still, cant rush perfection. :smashin:

If anything, the extra time taken to polish the game up shows in the quality.

17. Dave2

Dave2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    this game was my all time fave game, I had it on the amiga and snes :) I even played the demo on the schools acorn computer systems.

One of the big things I remember with this game was the glitch where you could run through walls :)

18. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    I certainly hope the time has been well spent and they've crafted a little gem that fans both old and new can enjoy.

Could you be referring to Blackthorne at all? It definitely had Another World and Flashback influences all over it, but was different enough to be enjoyable. I played that on my Snes too (mozza will no doubt be disgusted with me :D). Great theme tune. :smashin: One that made it on to my cassette tape. :D

See
    SNES Blackthorne (EU Blackhawk)
    for some Blackthorne action.

Hey, the chap that uploaded the above clip says that the Snes version of Blackthorne was heavily censored! :eek: Dang it, didn't we get any of the best versions of games. :mad:

Yes the 'real' music in a lot of games these days can seem quite generic compared to the often inspired tunes of yester year, however I do appreciate and enjoy the more grandiose scores of more recent games. The Metal Gear franchise is a big favourite of mine. I actually own the soundracks for both the original Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater games. They are just fantastic! :smashin:

Having watched some YouTube vids of the Amiga version in action it is evident it was indeed the best version.

Ah well, at least I got to play it. The Snes version, although inferior, was still half decent. My fond memories remain untarnished. :D

Silly question, but did you favour the Amiga version yourself, Dave?

19. mozza54

mozza54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    Cant knock the Snes mate, the Amiga was an awesome machine for the time but my trusty snes had some serious classics.. SFII Turbo, Mario World and Link to the Past, which like Flashback, is in my top games of all time.

20. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    One of the greatest games of all time. Flashback or Another World?

I think I preferred the gameplay of Flashback but the atmosphere of Another World was outstanding. The opening scenes and then your arrival on the alien planet with the dark pool of water and panther-like creature waiting to greet you as you emerge from the deep is something I'll never forget. The soundtrack to both were outstanding.

I think Flashback and Another World were my introduction to adult concepts in games. James Pond, Kick-Off, Sensible Soccer, Dizzy Egg, etc were fun but this game and AW were like being in a film for 11-12 year-old me.

21. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,985

22. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,637
  23. Houghsx

Houghsx
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,365
  24. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    Pleased to read you've got some love for the Snes, fella. :D It was my favourite console ever. :thumbsup:

Aye the classics were plentiful. Nintendo really were at their best back then. :smashin: Changed days now though. :(

I assume you will be looking forward to the sequel to Link to the Past?

For me it was Another World. That game just blew my mind in so many glorious ways. :D

I could not have said it better myself. :D

Yeah it was. In actual fact I view Blackthorne as the completion of an exceptionally good trilogy, which started with Another World, then Flashback. None of the games were related story wise, but the gameplay mechanics in all of them were so similar it was as if they were all related.

Oh right. As much as I wanted to find out what happened to Conrad Hart, I never really got in to that game. I played it a bit, got bored with it and just moved on.

Wow! :eek:

25. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,168
    Thanks for the link Houghsx.

Seems that platform games are enjoying a resurgence recently with the likes of Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, Gianna Sisters, Fez, Gunpoint, etc becoming prominent games on Steam and the like.

It would be a good moment for the French creators of both games to return to the genre and bring us a new Another World or Flashback for modern times. There's so much support out there nowadays in the form of Kickstarter for raising funds, Youtube and social media for marketing, Steam/Humble/GOG etc for distribution, and so on that the announcement of a new project by these guys could potentially generate a lot of interest and anticipation.

Bemused One

I'll always remember the cover for the SNES version of Flashback with the eyes staring back at someone or something in horror. One of the great covers of its time.

The SNES was the great console of the early 90s. The cartridge ejection button alone is enough to win it that accolade.

26. Bemused One

Bemused One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,879
    It just goes to show that the audience is still there provided the offerings are good.

I'm all for giving them a shot, but more on original titles that have a similar feel to the games of days gone by, definitely not rehashes.

Take this new rejigged Flashback for example. Some of the original people who worked on the original Flashback also worked on it and look how it has turned out. :eek:

That much is true. However after all of the excitement I wasted on this new version of Flashback and my subsequent disappointment after reading the reviews, I'd be more cautious. I'd still be interested though. ;)

Agreed. :smashin:

Ain't that the truth. ;)

I'm really pleased to meet folk who hold the console in the same high regard as I do. :D

27. Sam Crow

Sam Crow
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,637
  28. rio1981

rio1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +837
    Would like updates to Future Wars, Operation Stealth and Cruise for a Corpse personally! Amazing writing in those games.