Flash USB2 as Live/Media library Cache also advise on build

bagg3rs

I have been looking into Using A USB Drive As Live TV Buffer regarding using a flash drive to store Media Library information and also cached live TV to help with performance. Is anyone doing this with notable differences? I have already bought a 16GB in anticipation of getting my new system.

I am currently using an old NOVA-T USB2 in my laptop with W7 RTM to temporarily stream to a 360 and plan to get a Compro VideoMate S350 DVB-S Tuner PCI Card so I get watch HD and record. Is there any difference in the quality of the picture of SD picture from Sat and Terrestrial? I am guessing it’s down to the signal?

Also what are people’s return from standby times like in W7 for live TV? When I used to use XP MC sometimes live TV wouldn’t come back and I would have to restart. I always thought it maybe my nova-t usb, are those days gone with W7? I can’t test as my laptop can’t go into standby properly.

I see there are a lot of threads on new PC's, but I thought I would throw mine in here if anyone has any ideas on things to change. This won’t be used for gaming though I may add a Vid card later on if needed. I am trying to keep the cost down but if there is a huge difference in say navigating Windows 7MC then I could go for a newer MB 785?/DDR3 etc but I am in the thinking after reading around that there may not be much difference.

Black MATX Media Centre Case With Brushed Aluminium Front Panel - No PSU 135497 £47.63 - anyone got one of these? Was thinking of the Antec 2480 but would rather it was black.
ASUS M4A78-VM 780G Socket AM2+ HDMI DVI VGA 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard 168321 £39.54
AMD Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz Socket AM3 2MB Cache Retail Box Processor 168971 £40.08
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM 173804 £49.46
Extra Value Micro ATX 300W PSU - 20+4pin, 1x SATA 125004 £13.48
Crucial 2GB DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty 142399 £22.60
Compro VideoMate S350 DVB-S Tuner PCI Card 143331 £22.61

Thanks,

Last edited:

bagg3rs

In case anyone was wondering this does make a difference when switching channels as I use to have a slight delay in picture.
Also channel switching is a bit faster, not sure this will make much of a difference in a higher powered system but I will give it a try when I get mine later in the year.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom