Flash Gordon (Buster Crabbe)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just come back from HMV and saw a 3 disc set of "Flash Gordon Conquers The Universe", at the bargain price of £15.99 (or each disc individually at £9.99)

I was very tempted to buy it, as I love these cheesy cliff hanger serial from the 30's & 40's, but being an anorak/anal type, I wanted to watch the first series first. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be available.

A quick trip to IMDB showed that the first is only abailable on DVD in Germany, and the 2nd & 3rd series are available in the US.

We just seemed to have got the 3rd only, and if you check the small print it's NTSC to boot!

Now the IMDB is not always up to date so does anyone know if the original Flash Gordon serial (titled Flash Gordon) made 1936 is available on DVD anywhere?

2. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I believe the initial serial was renamed* 'Space Soldiers' ('36), which is available from the US. It's the one where Flash & Dale are passengers on an aircraft caught in the Mongo Ray. They bale out & meet Zarkov.

Trip to Mars ('38) & Universe ('40) followed.

Edit: * The back of the box states: "In 1951, Flash Gordon reverted to King Features. Television syndication of the serial brought a demand for new Flash Gordon adventures, resulting in a short-lived TV series (1953-54) starring Steve Holland. King Features renamed the 1936 SPACE SOLDIERS to avoid confusion."

LINK to The Digital Bits' review.

3. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

just order the first two series from Amazon.com, along with Buck Rogers!!!!

I still remember the episode entitled "revolt of the Zuggs".

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    I was always partial to King of the Rocket Men, and the other one (the name escapes me) starring Ray "Crash" Corrigan.

5. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The undersea kingdom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,666
  7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,010
    Yup, there was one aswell where at the end of the episode he's fighting with a guy inside a car and it flies over the clifftop supposedly killing both men when it hits the ground and explodes, but next episode he manages to beat the guy up and jump out the car before it got anywhere near the cliff. Classy stuff. You don't get cliffhangers like that in shows anymore.

Undersea Kingdom....what an excellent serial.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,666
    There was on where they was fighting in a warehouse at the dock in a truck the truck went over the side and the rear axle came off, yet the next shot it was attached. Still love the series though. What was Kings controls for the rocker was it Up/Down , On/Off and an other one mmmm what was it?
    It is a shame they are never shown these days, OK the were a bit corny, but they was full of action, great fun and better special effect than they have today:rolleyes: :D
    Undersea Kingdom was great but ‘Daredevils Of The Red Circle’ was my favourite and would like to own on DVD.

9. malcy

malcy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    King of the Rocket me is the one i'm waiting for but still no sign of it got both Falsh Gordon and Buck Rogers already

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The boxset is £11.99 at splashdvd